At McKinstry, we're proud to be a diverse and passionate group of innovators and problem-solvers, builders and engineers, mentors and students. We believe the world needs curious, forward-thinking, solutions-oriented people who want to make our planet better. We are committed to strengthening our diversity through recruiting, developing, and retaining professionals from all backgrounds, and we believe that promoting diversity, equity, and inclusivity is an integral component of our continuing quest To Build a Thriving Planet. If you are looking to leave a purposeful mark on the world, then McKinstry is the place for you.
McKinstry Engineering originally grew organically out of McKinstry's construction offering; however, we have evolved significantly from our early days supporting design build projects. McKinstry Engineering has developed a reputation as a leading high-performance building design firm. Our work consists of professional services wins and support of internal clients – large new construction (Majors), Special Projects, Energy Services, and McKinstry new development.
Here's where you come in:
We are seeking a Senior Electrical Engineer to join our expanding Engineering and Design team.
You're great at:
Department and Team Management
- Supervises, trains, mentors and delegates to project and lead engineers.
- Coordinates with internal design and construction teams.
- Identifies resource needs to meet project deadlines.
- Conducts quarterly goal plan reviews and annual performance reviews.
- Exercises global decision making by considering other departments within the company such as project management, sales and estimating, purchasing, etc.
- Refines, applies and coaches McKinstry Engineering standards and procedures.
- Provides engineering analysis and design budgeting to support sales and early design efforts.
- Documents project correspondence, issues, decisions, design intent and direction.
- Communicates and manages scope, design process and invoicing.
- Identifies, responds to and documents changes in scope, schedule, budget, or expectations.
- Demonstrates understanding of overall project objectives and employs creative problem solving to achieve design and construction objectives within budget and resources.
- Communicate with internal and external clients and stakeholders during the design and construction phases.
- Demonstrated broad mastery of electrical systems design concepts for typical commercial facilities. This includes power distribution design, equipment selection and specification, load calculations, lighting design & specification, coordination studies, energy code compliance, emergency power systems & renewable energy amongst others.
- Provide overall responsibility for design delivery including reviewing and providing direction on engineering calculations and design drawings for code and AHJ compliance, design intent, quality, precision, constructability, risk and cost impact.
- Identifies opportunities for process and technology improvements and innovations.
- Investigates, evaluates, troubleshoots and provide recommendations for existing power systems.
- Supports mechanical system selection, energy modeling, and preconstruction estimating.
- Presents options and facilitates decisions for design direction, system selection, energy conservation, and cost savings strategies.
- Serves as Engineer of Record (Stamping Engineer)
- Represents McKinstry Engineering in project meetings with internal and external customers and stakeholders.
- Enhances department and company reputation by generating opportunities to demonstrate leadership in industry and/or regulatory groups.
- Develops and maintains relationships with key customers and management.
- Supports the sales effort by developing budget estimates, engineering proposals and attending project interviews.
What we would like to see from you:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering required or equivalent work experience required.
- P.E. registration is required.
- Twelve (12) years of experience in electrical design, engineering or related field preferred.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and Revit required.
- Working knowledge of Total Cost of Ownership and or Life Cycle Cost Analysis preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to present to internal and external teams preferred.
- Experience in managing a design or project delivery team is required.
The McKinstry group of companies are equal opportunity employers. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, race, color, creed, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to employment, advancement, assignment, and training. This commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity is made equally as a social responsibility and as an economic and business necessity.
McKinstry is a drug-free workplace. Employment is contingent upon successfully passing a pre-employment drug and alcohol test, complying with the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act and a Confidentiality Agreement, in addition to successful outcomes of background and reference checks.
Applicants for this role will only be considered if they possess current US Work Authorization, and do not require employer-sponsored VISA support to begin or remain in this role.
Apply on company website