At McKinstry, we're proud to be a diverse and passionate group of innovators and problem-solvers, builders and engineers, mentors and students. We believe the world needs curious, forward-thinking, solutions-oriented people who want to make our planet better. We are committed to strengthening our diversity through recruiting, developing, and retaining professionals from all backgrounds, and we believe that promoting diversity, equity, and inclusivity is an integral component of our continuing quest To Build a Thriving Planet. If you are looking to leave a purposeful mark on the world, then McKinstry is the place for you.
Here's where you come in:
We are currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our team as a member of our growing Engineering and Design division located in Seattle, Washington. Engineers at McKinstry are unsurpassed in their ability to combine innovative problem solving with common sense design applications. Because of our design, build, operate, and maintain (DBOM) process, McKinstry engineers concern themselves not just with the construction of a building, but how it will operate over its entire lifetime. Every design choice is made toward one goal – delivering high performance buildings that ensure occupant comfort and safety, keep energy/operating costs low, maximize client profitability, and protect the environment.
You're great at:Department and Team Management
- Delegates and manages project engineering staff.
- Coordinates with internal design and construction teams.
- Identifies resource needs to meet project deadlines.
- Supervises, trains, and mentors project and lead engineers.
- Conducts quarterly goal plan reviews.
- Exercises global decision making by considering other departments within the company such as project management, sales and estimating, accounting, purchasing, etc.
- Documents project correspondence, issues, decisions and directions.
- Applies and coaches McKinstry Engineering standards and procedures.
- Provides engineering analysis to support sales and early design efforts.
- Defines, communicates, and manages scope, design intent, and design process for direct supervisor review.
- Identifies and responds to changes in scope, schedule, budget, or expectations.
- Demonstrates understanding of overall project objectives and employs creative problem solving to achieve objectives within budget and resources.
- Prepares, negotiates, and manages design budget and coordinates invoicing.
- Coordinates with construction and estimating teams to reduce project costs.
- Coordinates with external clients and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated mastery and able to fully lead a team in delivering mechanical systems design, including calculations, airside systems, piping systems, equipment selection and multi-discipline coordination.
- Overall responsible for delivering designs to customers by reviewing and providing feedback on engineering calculations and design drawings for design intent, quality, precision, constructability, and construction costs.
- Guides coordination with internal and external team members.
- Identifies opportunities for process and technology improvements.
- Investigates, evaluates, and troubleshoots existing systems.
- Drives system selection, energy modeling, green building certification, and preconstruction collaboration.
- Presents options and facilitates decisions for design direction, system selection, energy conservation, and cost savings strategies.
- Serves as Engineer of Record (Stamping Engineer).
- Attends early meetings with external customers and stakeholders.
- Represents McKinstry in the community and develops new potential work.
- Enhances department and company reputation by generating opportunities to demonstrate leadership in industry and/or regulatory groups, or the public forum
- Develops and maintains relationships with customers and upper management.
What we would like to see from you:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering required or equivalent work experience required.
- P.E. registration is required.
- Twelve (12) years of experience in mechanical design, engineering or related field preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Teams.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and Revit required.
- Working knowledge of whole building energy analysis results required.
- Working knowledge of Total Cost of Ownership and or Life Cycle Cost Analysis required.
- Demonstrated public speaking experience preferred.
- Experience in managing a design team is required.
- LEED accreditation preferred.
The McKinstry group of companies are equal opportunity employers. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, race, color, creed, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to employment, advancement, assignment, and training. This commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity is made equally as a social responsibility and as an economic and business necessity.
McKinstry is a drug-free workplace. Employment is contingent upon successfully passing a pre-employment drug and alcohol test, complying with the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act and a Confidentiality Agreement, in addition to successful outcomes of background and reference checks.
Applicants for this role will only be considered if they possess current US Work Authorization, and do not require employer-sponsored VISA support to begin or remain in this role.
Apply on company website