Please review the job details below. The Director, Security and Compliance will provide leadership, planning, and management for all of MDA's industrial security and regulatory compliance activities across Canada
The Director is a member of both the MDA Government and Commercial leadership teams, and will continually evaluate the readiness of security and regulatory compliance tactical operations to ensure security and regulatory compliance program effectiveness and compliance to government directives and MDA policies. This role can be located in Brampton, Ottawa, or Montreal.
The Director of Security serves as a key advisor to the corporate executive leadership team and reports directly to the MDA Chief Operations Officer. The Director, Security and Compliance serves as the Corporate Company Security Officer (CCSO) to MDA and its cleared business locations across Canada.
It is essential that the Director, Security and Compliance is a leader who truly owns the security and regulatory compliance function, and is dedicated to creating a leading capability that continuously improves.
Assumes accountability for, and directs the activities of subordinate on-site CSOs, DOs, and other compliance staff in relation to, MDA's industrial security and regulatory compliance activities relating to:
- Canadian Industrial Security Program
- Controlled Goods Program
- Canadian and international export compliance
- Denied party screening program
- Government of Canada Integrity Regime
- Anti-bribery and anti-corruption
- Lobbyist registration
- Satellite operations licensing
- Privacy and security of personal information
- Electronic marketing communications (e.g. CASL, CAN-SPAM)
- Any other regulatory compliance matters as assigned by MDA's executive management team
Manages a dynamic and geographically dispersed team of security and regulatory compliance specialists across the MDA enterprise. Selects, motivates, and counsels team members; administers compensation and performance reviews of security and regulatory compliance staff with local on-site management.
Serves as the Corporate Company Security Officer (CCSO) and Authorized Individual, and is responsible for supervising and directing all security measures to implement requirements of the Industrial Security Program and Controlled Goods Program to ensure Facility Clearances and Registrations across MDA remain in good standing with the Canadian Industrial Security Directorate, Department of National Defense (DND), and non-DND agencies, and the Controlled Goods Directorate.
Compliance and Risk
Develops and implements security and regulatory compliance tailored processes and procedures throughout MDA. Develops and conducts security and compliance training and interact with employees at all level of the organization and relevant third parties to build awareness on the importance of compliance and ethics. Conducts risk assessments, compliance monitoring, audits, and investigations. Proactively identify compliance gaps and create compliance solutions across various areas of the business.
Conduct security and regulatory compliance due diligence for new business opportunities and acquisitions.
State of the Art
Monitor legal and regulatory changes that could affect MDA's business and regularly update MDA's programs based on emerging risks and best practices.
In close coordination with management, develops annual operating budget; collects, integrates, and measures performance goals and metrics for the MDA security and regulatory compliance department
Collaboration with Executive Leadership
Provides strong collaboration and partnership with MDA senior management; specifically the Chief Operations Officer and President, Government Programs by providing monthly security reviews to ensure leadership are kept apprised of security program effectiveness
Establishes, maintains, and grows effective relationships with current and future customers, gain recognition as a trusted and respected representative of MDA, and ensure program outcomes are consistent with MDA and customer expectations
- Mandatory minimum of 5 years experience as a senior manager or director of a corporate security department in a Canadian corporation cleared at the secret / top secret level.
- Bachelor Degree or an equivalent degree directly related to the duties of the position
- 15 years of relevant experience, which can include combined experience with law enforcement, military intelligence, government or private sector corporate security and compliance departments, in operationalizing security and compliance programs, and implementing practical solutions.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge of security and compliance-related laws and regulations, including CFPOA/FCPA/UKBA, CGP/ITAR, EIPA/EAR, and SEMA/UN/OFAC/OSFI sanctions, and willingness to gain knowledge with respect to other areas of law and regulation as needed.
- Knowledge of general trends and current developments in industrial security and regulatory compliance, in Canada and internationally, having the potential to impact MDA's business
- Experience working with executive leadership teams to communicate risks and strategies.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a Canadian 'Secret' security clearance, and designation as a Designated official in the Controlled Goods Program
- Attention to detail and the ability to maintain accurate records.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Sound research and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment, initiative and discretion.
- Proficiency in Excel, Power Point, and Word.
- Knowledge of standard office equipment, technology, and procedures.
- Ability to travel and work varying hours to accommodate a global workforce, as needed.
MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity in the workplace.
MDA is proud to provide accommodations during the recruitment and selection process. If you require accessible formats, communication supports or any other form of accommodation, please notify MDA if you are contacted for an interview.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company's retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.
Apply on company website