Please review the job details below. Are you keen to have large scale impact in the work that you do? Are you eager to learn and develop your career in software and systems engineering? Do you want to work with experienced engineers who are delivering cutting-edge technical solutions to some of the most complex problems in the world?
If you do, we would be thrilled to discuss why you should consider the opportunities MDA offers to grow your skills and career.
Who we are:
MDA is a global aerospace, communications, and information company serving commercial and government customers worldwide. MDA's established global customer base is served by more than 4,800 employees operating from 11 locations in the United States, Canada, and internationally.
The Defence solutions group is a leading provider of large, complex surveillance and intelligence solutions for government and commercial customers around the world. Our mission-critical solutions provide the high-quality information needed to support decision processes in environments where quality, performance, availability, responsiveness and value intersect. Working in multidisciplinary teams, we deliver ship and naval electronics solutions that support critical aspects of modern naval operations, from combat systems and ship sensors to wide-area surveillance and vessel tracking and identification solutions that support integrated Command and Control and C4ISR systems. We are seeking staff to define and deliver the next generation of ship and naval electronic systems solutions. Come be a part of the team that supports deployed missions across the globe and ensures the next generation of naval personnel are operationally ready.
As a Systems Engineer, you shall:
- Create engineering solutions that are attractive to our customers, meet the customer's stated requirements and their operational needs, and are price competitive and cost-effective.
- Conduct working sessions to understand our customers' objectives, requirements and constraints.
- Manage design integrity and compliance with requirements specifications.
- Establish concept of operations, system specifications, system interfaces.
- Apply specialty engineering design disciplines to creatively address our customer's requirements.
- Conduct structured reviews of system engineering deliverables.
- Conclude requirements elaboration and reviews with the establishment of technical baselines.
- Work with our customer to control change over the technical baselines.
- Support the preparation of and updates to engineering management plans.
- Monitor and resolve customer concerns as design, implementation, integration and test progress.
- Produce user interface specifications, ICDs, UI Wireframes and user stories for the development team.
- Support integration, system and acceptance testing.
- Collaborate with the customer regarding change control over each baseline.
Successful candidates will have:
- A University Degree from an accredited institution in Computer Science, Software Engineering or other relevant discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years' experience in systems engineering.
- Proven ability to focus on the customer, understand their needs, participate in reviews of their deliverables and deliver results.
- Possess progressive analytical skills and innovative systems level solutioning capability required for defining large, complex, mission critical systems.
- Extensive knowledge of the full system or product life cycle, the system engineering discipline, and how the system engineering discipline is applied successfully to each phase.
- Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills, problem solving abilities, and technical execution strengths.
And some combination of the following experience and skills:
- Open-source geospatial software and Geospatial data services (e.g. GDAL/OGR, GeoServer, PostGIS, OpenLayers, Leaflet, OGC standards, etc).
- Command and Control of Maritime Operations Domain
- Ability to pro-actively identify and manage risks.
- Persuasive yet diplomatic, excellent negotiation skills, and committed to success.
- Engineering design disciplines (reliability, maintainability, availability, security).
- UX design, principles and ability to create UI wireframes.
- Experience writing user stories.
- Ability to work within a large organization and understand dependencies and stakeholder needs.
- Requirements management tools, such as DOORS or Requisite-Pro.
- Service Oriented Architectures (SOA).
Perks of our Richmond facility
- Flexible office hours
- Standard 40 hour work week, overtime is tracked and compensated
- Office and lab-style work environments
- In-house training for both hard and soft skills, professional development funding
- Fitness facilities: aerobics floor with instructor lead classes, free weights, exercise machines and showers
- Full onsite cafeteria serving hot daily specials
- Kitchenettes (with fridges and microwaves) throughout the building offering complimentary coffee and tea
- Ample free parking for cars, motorcycles and bicycles
- Translink bus stop within steps of the building. Shuttle service from Bridgeport skytrain station is also available
- Company sponsored events including some for families with children
Successful candidate(s) must be able to obtain and hold security clearance at the Reliability level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company's retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.
Apply on company website