About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
\nMedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
\nMedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
\nGeneral Summary of Position:
\nEvaluates and manages care of patients post transplant and post surgical procedures including history taking and physical examination; ordering and interpreting diagnostic testing; clinical management of patients postoperatively. Coordinates discharge planning and outpatient care. Providing patient education; coordinating and conducting clinical and telephone follow-up of patients. Coordinates a variety of research protocols and projects in the Division of Transplant Surgery. Participates in the collection and management of outcome data in the Division of Transplant Surgery. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
\nMedStar Georgetown Transplant Institute
\nThe MedStar Georgetown Transplant Institute (MGTI) is seeking an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner for our rapidly expanding multi-organ transplant program.
\nMGTI is a proud member of MedStar Health, the premier health system in the Mid-Atlantic region and one of the nation's leaders in solid organ transplants.
\nMGTI is one of MedStar's Centers of Excellence and offers evaluation and treatment of advanced liver disease, intestinal disorders, chronic kidney disease and complications of diabetes. Our goal is to restore patients to their optimum level of health and return them to a productive life. We specialize in innovative treatments and provide our patients with access to groundbreaking research and clinical trials.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: B.S.N. from an accredited School of Nursing. Successful completion of an approved Nurse Practitioner program. \n\t
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION:State License in DC as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner certification. CPR certification. \n\t
- EXPERIENCE:Three years of nursing experience, inclusive of at least one year of directly related experience in transplant related clinical specialty. \n\t
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: Knowledge of professional nursing theory, practice, and medical care to give and evaluate patients. Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations, and procedures to administer patient care. Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods, and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care. Skill in taking medical histories to assess medical condition and interpret findings. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public. Ability to maintain quality control standards. Ability to remain calm and effective in emergency situations. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. \n\t
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience. \n
- Performs post operative evaluation including taking a medical history and performing a physical examination, orders and interprets appropriate diagnostic tests, obtains informed consent for surgical procedures, and provides patient education. \n\t
- Assists in postoperative care following the transfer of patients from the ICU utilizing the Transplant protocols; and assists physicians in ongoing patient management as needed. \n\t
- Coordinates services provided to patients on the Transplant Surgical Service by accepting referrals independently and in coordination with staff physicians; assuring prompt scheduling of services; communicating with referring physicians as indicated. \n\t
- Maintains open communication with referring physicians by providing patient updates and recommendations for outpatient treatment. \n\t
- Ensures continuity of care by managing medication orders in transition from outpatient to inpatient setting and vice versa. \n\t
- Makes rounds with attending and resident staff. Writes orders and performs procedures in coordination with attending transplant physician. \n\t
- Coordinates patient participation in research study by screening all patients for participation in appropriate protocols, providing patient education; obtaining informed consent; and ordering appropriate tests and medications per study protocol; and performing required clinical and telephone follow-up as required by study protocol. \n\t
- Provides ongoing communication with Primary Investigator, Study Sponsor, Data Coordinating Center and the IRB. \n\t
- Provides staff education about new clinical protocols, patient management, research protocols. Develops staff competencies in cooperation with clinical managers on the patient care units. \n\t
- Makes rounds with Transplant Surgery-Nephrology-Hepatology, Small Bowell. Functions as liaison. \n\t
- Instructs patients in all discharge education including medications and other treatments required after discharge per transplant protocol. \n\t
- Acts as patient advocate by transmitting patient and family concerns to physician team members. \n\t
- Organizes and coordinates outpatient transplant clinic with nephrology-hepatology. Must be recognized as central source for information concerning patient's condition. \n
\n About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Apply on company website