About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
Provides primary nursing care to patients acting as an assistant to physicians in the Department of Pediatrics/Apnea Service. Performs complete medical history and examinations. Administers medications and orders appropriate laboratory and diagnostic procedures. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: B.S.N. from an accredited School of Nursing. Successful completion of an approved Nurse Practitioner program.
- EXPERIENCE: Three years of nursing experience, inclusive of at least one year of directly related experience in Neonatology.
- LICENSE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: State License in DC or MD or VA as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner. CPR certification. Certification in ACLS and PALS. NNP highly preferred.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Knowledge of professional nursing theory, practice, and medical care to give and evaluate patients. Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations, and procedures to administer patient care. Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods, and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care. Skill in taking medical histories to assess medical condition and interpret findings. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public. Ability to maintain quality control standards. Ability to remain calm and effective in emergency situations. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Obtains complete medical history and physical data on patients.
- Performs physical examinations pertinent to the patient's medical history and complaint.
- Orders and evaluates appropriate evaluatory diagnostic studies and procedures.
- Interprets and synthesizes data to determine preliminary diagnosis and therapeutic plan and procedures.
- Records and documents assessment data, interventions, results, and patient outcomes, per established clinical protocols.
- Administers medications and injections, as directed.
- Instructs patients and family regarding medications and treatment instructions. Provides patient education and serves as resource to other clinical team members regarding particular expertise.
- Triages patient telephone inquiries and provides consultation, as needed.
- Collaborates with physician in evaluating and managing the acute and long-term medical needs of patients.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Apply on company website