About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
A Clinical Educator provides educational leadership for professional nursing practice in alignment with the mission, vision, values and goals of the Division of Nursing/MGUH and Magnet designation. Exemplifies and promotes excellence in education, practice, and research through leadership and mentorship of nursing staff and through collaborative multidisciplinary relationships within the medical center, as well as throughout local, regional and national arenas. Uses adult learning principles and instructional strategies to assess, design, implement and evaluate continuing nursing education programs which enhance and promote clinical competency and standards of care. Promotes, disseminates and integrates evidence-based practice, performance improvement and nursing research into clinical practice. Supports and facilitates certification of clinical nurses. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
Intermediate Thoracic/Telemetry Medical/Surgical Unit – C4-1
C4-1 is a 19-bed adult Thoracic Medical-Surgical Intermediate Care Unit. Clinical Nurses on C4-1 provide expert care for acutely ill patients who have a diverse range of medical and surgical diagnoses. Nurses provide care to patients after complex open and minimally invasive thoracic surgeries of the lung and esophagus. Medical diagnoses include end-stage renal disease, end-stage liver failure, chest pain, cardiac arrhythmias, sepsis, CHF, COPD, and GI bleeds. All beds are equipped to provide continuous cardiac and pulse oximetry monitoring.
Intermediate Care Medical/Surgical Unit – 2 North
2 North is a recently renovated 18-bed, adult Intermediate Care Unit with all private rooms. All of the rooms on 2 North are outfitted with the latest GE bedside physiological equipment to provide continuous cardiac and pulse oximetry monitoring.
Clinical Nurses on 2 North will utilize innovative best practice processes to provide expert care for acutely ill patients who have a diverse range of medical and surgical diagnoses. The Clinical Nurses on 2 North are the hospital CAPD champions. Other diagnoses seen include end-stage renal disease, end-stage liver failure, chest pain, cardiac arrhythmias, sepsis, CHF, COPD, and GI bleeds.
As a unified team, 2 North provides comprehensive, safe and quality care with warmth, respect and compassion in the spirit of cura personalis.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an NLN accredited School of Nursing; BSN degree required. Master's degree in Nursing Clinical Nurse Specialist preferred. Certification in Nursing Education or clinical area within one year of hire.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse upon hire.
- EXPERIENCE: Five years clinical experience including two years in a university teaching hospital preferred. Clinical education experience desirable.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as a positive role model/mentor /leader for nursing staff at all times. Facilitates the development of staff for both the preceptor and mentor role.
- Assesses learning needs of the nursing staff on the assigned unit/s at least once per year.
- Plans, develops, implements and evaluates unit-based orientation and other educational programs, including specialty fellowship programs, using adult learning principles and strategies, to meet the learning needs of the nursing staff to ensure competency and to advance the skills and knowledge of the nursing staff.
- Collaborates with other clinical nurse educators to increase efficiency and reduce duplication of resources for educational programs and purposes.
- Actively participates in Performance Improvement and Quality activities, projects, and nursing research studies via committees, councils, task forces and conferences.
- Facilitates and promotes integration of evidence-based practice, research, and Magnet Components.
- Develops, implements and evaluates policies, procedures, professional nursing practice, standards and patient standards of care for continuous improvement.
- Advances, supports and facilitates certification of staff nurses on units.
- Provides education consultation for staff, nursing students, nursing managers, and others within the multi-disciplinary team using principles of adult learning.
- Participates in Councils, Committees, Task Forces and Work Groups at the unit, department, hospital and corporate level. Provides leadership mentoring when appropriate.
- Collaborates with Georgetown University and other schools of nursing to clarify clinical objectives and promote appropriate undergraduate and graduate learning experiences.
- Promotes MGUH and own advanced nursing practice by membership in professional organizations, providing poster and podium presentations at conferences, and active participation in other professional/educational opportunities.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Apply on company website