About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
\nMedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
\nMedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
\nGeneral Summary of Position:
\nEvaluates and manages care of patients undergoing cardiac procedures including history taking and physical examination; ordering and interpreting diagnostic testing; and clinical management of post-procedures. Coordinates discharge planning. Provides Case Management services to patients in the Interventional Cardiology Service and Cardiac Surgery Service by coordinating scheduling and utilization of services; providing patient education; and coordinating and conducting clinical and telephone follow-up of patients. Coordinates a variety of research protocols. Organizes and coordinates various clinical protocols and projects. Participates and oversees in the collection and management of outcome data. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: Graduate of accredited School of Nursing. BSN degree required, MSN degree required. \n\t
- EXPERIENCE: Minimum of four years critical care nursing experience. Cardiology/Cardiovascular Surgery experience preferred. Research experience preferred. \n\t
- LICENSE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Current D. C. licensure as a Registered Nurse, eligibility for Nurse Practitioner licensure. Current Certification in Acute Care or Adult Nurse Practitioner. \n\t
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Ability to deal effectively with patients, attending physicians, referring physicians and staff. Excellent organization and communication skills. Computer skills including knowledge of Windows, MS Word, Excel, Access and Internet helpful. \n\t
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience. \n
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:\n\n
- Coordinates the scheduling of patients for Cardiac Surgery/Cardiology procedures. \n\t
- Performs pre-procedure and preoperative evaluation including taking medical history and performing physical examination, ordering and interpreting appropriate diagnostic testing, obtaining informed consent for procedures and providing patient education. \n\t
- Provides comprehensive post-procedural and postoperative care utilizing protocols and assists physicians/house staff in ongoing patient management as needed. \n\t
- Provides case management services to patients and coordinates discharge planning and patient education in collaboration with appropriate physicians and multidisciplinary teams. \n\t
- Coordinates services provided to patients by accepting referrals independently and in coordination with staff physicians; assuring prompt scheduling of services and communicating with referring physicians as indicated. \n\t
- Maintains open communication with referring physicians by providing patient updates and recommendations for discharge planning. \n\t
- Coordinates Clinical Research Protocol coordination including IRB submission as per IRB standards; developing appropriate study materials to aid in recruitment and adherence to protocols; and completes Case Report Forms as outlined in clinical protocol in a timely manner. \n\t
- Attends research protocol training meetings and Scientific Sessions as appropriate. \n\t
- Coordinates patient participation in research studies by screening all patients for participation in appropriate protocols; providing patient education; obtaining informed consent; ordering appropriate tests and medications per study protocol; and performing required clinical and telephone follow-up as required by study protocol. \n\t
- Provides ongoing communication with Primary Investigator, Study Sponsor, Data Coordinating Center and the IRB. \n\t
- Provides staff education about new clinical protocols, patient management, research protocols. Develops staff competencies in cooperation with NC and ANC on patient care units. \n\t
- Provides patient and family education about cardiovascular/cardiology services, procedures performed, and disease management. Develops written educational materials and assists in the development of Internet information about heart services. \n\t
- Participates in Performance Improvement activities by collecting data for databases, and analyzing data to study and improve patient outcomes; developing evidence-based protocols and guidelines in collaboration with other members of the team; attending monthly Morbidity and Mortality Conference; and participating in other departmental meetings and conferences regularly. \n\t
- Exemplifies Patient Experience service standards and Spirit values, and actively participates in Patient Safety standards and tasks. \n\t
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this position and are not to be considered all inclusive. \n
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Apply on company website