General Summary of Position:
The Surgical Information Systems Clinical Leader is an experienced registered nurse who oversees and provides professional nursing care and assists in the management of the operational, personnel and financial activities of the unit(s). These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
The MedStar Georgetown Operating Room houses 23 suites and is staffed 24 hours, 7 days per week. We provide a wide range of surgical services, including Transplant, Neurosurgery, Orthopaedics, Otolaryngology, Plastic Surgery, General Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Robotic Surgery, Urology, Gynecology, Pediatrics, Vascular Surgery, and Ophthalmology. The orientation program is coordinated by an expert Perioperative Clinical Educator.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited school of Nursing. BS degree preferred.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse. Certification in Basic Life Support.
- EXPERIENCE: Two years of related clinical experience in nursing in an acute care facility.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Excellent interpersonal and communications skills. In-depth knowledge of nursing principles, practice, and skills. Competence in clinical area for which application is made. Demonstrated leadership initiative.
Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in directing, implementing, and monitoring a 24-hour nursing care delivery system for a clinical area, ensuring performance according to standards.
- Maintains clinical proficiency in specialty area, supporting clinical staff as needed and providing direct patient care while continually monitoring and evaluating the quality of care and services that is provided on the unit.
- Coordinates and collaborates with nursing staff, physicians, patients, families, and other departments those activities related to patient and unit services.
- Promotes the professional growth and development of staff and students by planning for, participating in and evaluating educational opportunities, as well as maintaining certification in specialty area.
- Participates in and facilitates involvement of the nursing staff in research and development activities of the unit(s).
- Promotes and implements the Shared Governance model centrally and at the unit level.
- Assumes responsibilities for the unit as delegated by and in the absence of the Clinical Manager.
- Promotes Performance Initiatives and evidence-based practice through active engagement and development of unit-based initiatives.
- Assists in personnel management functions for the designated area to include, but not limited to, interviewing, orienting, training, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and evaluating employees as delegated by and with Clinical Manager's/Department Head's approval.
- Participates in planning (as delegated) of orientation, training, continuing education programs, or other opportunities for learning for the unit and other hospital staff as appropriate.
- Participates in the monitoring and controlling of assigned operational and capital budgets within administrative/departmental guidelines, as delegated by the Clinical Manager.
- Participates in the recommendation of future strategies required to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization in the incumbent's area of expertise.
- Embraces and advances principles inherent in Magnet® designation, demonstrating and participating in all forces.
- Safeguards employee and patient rights, and promotes a safe and healthy work environment.
- Ensures that all clinical/unit/personnel services are in accordance with standards and criteria established by The Joint Commission and state, local, and federal agencies at all times.
- Supports clinical and non-clinical automation applications and encourages use at point of service.
Apply on company website