General Summary of Position:
The incumbent in this position is responsible for providing competent professional nursing care using the nursing process. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
Solid Organ Transplant Unit – 6 Bles
6 Bles is a 17-bed, adult solid organ transplant unit at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. 6 Bles is one of only six centers in the United States that perform intestinal transplants and averages over 100 liver transplants per year. At MedStar Georgetown, we also offer kidney and pancreas transplants and serve patients regionally, nationally and internationally. The patients are complex, both medically and surgically, and often require telemetry monitoring, high-risk medications and in-depth discharge teaching.
Nurses provide care to the adult population that is waiting for or has recently received a solid organ transplant (liver, kidney, pancreas, intestine) or has had other hepatobiliary surgeries (TACE, liver resection, Whipple). Many of these patients suffer from end-stage renal disease, end-stage liver disease, hepatitis C, diabetes, hypertension, and cancer.
Nurses work in collaboration with physicians, pharmacists and nurse practitioners to deliver intense post-surgical care that is focused on infection prevention and patient education. The nursing team is a highly educated and motivated group of professionals who participate in collaborative governance, achieve certifications, and drive positive patient outcomes. Notable honors include:
- MGUH Patient Safety Award for one year without a CLABSI
- More than 50% of eligible RNs are certified
- Active participation in Clinical Advancement Program
- National podium presentation on CLABSI-reduction project
- National conference presentation on care of the small bowel transplant patient
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. Bachelor's degree or higher in Nursing preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: To meet unit criteria, at least two (2) years of recent acute care experience in the relevant patient care area.
- LICENSE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse. Certification in Basic Life Support. Certification in specialty or related specialty preferred.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Ability to perform the nursing technologies. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to set priorities and work under stress.
Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- PRACTICE & QUALITY
- Provides relationship-based care that promotes continuous, consistent, efficient, and accountable delivery of nursing care using the nursing process.
- Demonstrates professional practice utilizing the framework of the professional practice model and is grounded in a culture of safety and quality.
- COMMUNICATION & COLLABORATION
- Communicates and collaborates with interprofessional groups to ensure coordination, continuity, and safe care.
- Communicates verbal information and documents written and electronic information that reflects the planned and delivered care for patients.
- Supports and contributes to the unit, department, and organizational goals inclusive of the mission, vision, and values.
- Demonstrates advocacy and support on behalf of interprofessional teams and patients.
- Delegates and supervises nursing staff in providing patient care and assumes leadership roles, e.g., charge nurse role. Participates in the development and implementation of quality activities.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Serves as a preceptor or mentor.
- Participates in professional development activities.
- Incorporates evidence-based practice and research into patient care delivery.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area.
The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
Apply on company website