This is a technologist position in the clinical laboratory with responsibility for performing procedures in assigned departments. This person is also responsible for the analysis of laboratory specimens and subsequent result reporting according to laboratory protocol and procedures federal, state and regulatory rules and regulations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Technical Skills and Problem Solving: Performs accurate and appropriate testing of specimens received in the laboratory, according to established laboratory protocol and procedures. Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and analysis.
- Evaluates specimens for suitability for testing and resolves problems related to specimen collection.
- Performs testing, records results of tests and ensures that results are accurate.
- Reports results for stats, abnormal results, critical values, and other categories of special requests as defined by laboratory policy.
- Proficient in instrument operation and basic troubleshooting for each section of the laboratory where orientation and training has been completed.
- Demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge of Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) and Hospital Information System (HIS) as indicated.
- Evaluates laboratory results and correlates data to recognize disease states. Monitors test results for reasonableness.
- Differentiates and resolves technical, instrument, and physiologic causes of problems or unexpected test results
- Exercises initiative and independent judgment in dealing with a broad scope of procedural and technical problems. Takes corrective action when indicated according to P & P's.
- Notifies supervisor of discrepancies or unexpected results when indicated.
- Is able to communicate effectively with physicians regarding specific test results.
- Able to prioritize and organize workload so that results are reported within established turn-around-times.
- Participates with development of new tests and procedures.
- Quality Assurance and Maintenance: Performs all quality assurance and instrument maintenance check procedures and maintains related records according to established policies/procedures.
- Performs, verifies accuracy of results, and records both QC function checks and quality control testing within the specified time frame.
- Assists with maintenance of quality control records.
- Recognizes instrument malfunction, halts patient testing/resulting immediately, and with aid of operators manual or hotline, attempts to resolve problem. Records corrective action taken.
- Performs daily and scheduled maintenance and function checks on instruments/equipment and documents action performed.
- Performs calibration and linearity checks according to established procedures.
- Completes assigned proficiency testing and annual departmental competencies within specified time frame.
- Assists with performance improvement initiatives when indicated.
- Phlebotomy: Collects and obtains blood specimens from patients and evaluates the samples suitability for testing purposes following established policies/procedures.
- Greets each patient and family member(s) in a courteous manner.
- Educates patient and family member(s) about the procedure to be performed.
- Performs correct patient identification for accurate labeling, collection, and processing of laboratory specimens.
- Performs all specimen collection techniques (venipuncture, fingerstick, and bleeding time) accurately and according to all SOP's.
- Labels all patient specimens and barcode order requisitions with initials, time drawn, and verifies orders in the computer system upon arrival in the laboratory.
- Places Typenex band on all pre-op outpatients who require Blood Bank procedures.
- Adheres to all safety protocols including standard precautions, transmission-based precautions, and other infection control policies.
- Is able to work efficiently and organize work during heavy workload situations to expedite patient results.
- Follows correct procedures for blood culture collection and maintains a <3% contaminated blood culture rate.
- Consistently checks the uncollected list and resolves problems associated with order errors.
- Development: Maintains current knowledge and certification
- Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to address these education needs.
- Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the department.
- Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (License, PPD, Competencies, Age Specifics, etc.)
- Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between departments
- Maintains awareness of changes in procedures or protocols.
- Attends department meetings as required or reads/initials meeting minutes within the specified time frame if not in attendance.
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the unit.
- Participates on inter-departmental teams and committees, communicating unit knowledge as appropriate.
- Provides department/unit with information and knowledge acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams and committees.
- Department/Unit Specific Functions and Duties
- Greets all patients and visitors to the Laboratory in a prompt and professional manner, displaying good customer service skills.
- Assists with telephone responsibilities when necessary.
- Provides nursing personnel and physician offices with verbal test results and pathology reports, referring any problems directly to the appropriate person or supervisor.
- Assists with on-going inventory control of testing supplies in each laboratory area, rotating stock so that older stock items are used first.
- Assists with the instruction of laboratory personnel in theory, technical skills, safety protocols, and application of laboratory test procedures.
- Cleans and sanitizes work areas at the beginning of each shift.
- Associates Degree or Bachelor's Degree as a Medical Technologist
- New Grad
- 1 year of experience in clinical lab preferred
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION & REGISTRATION:
- ASCP (MT or MLT) Registry or eligible (or equivalent certification)
- CLS or AMT acceptable
#IND123About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Apply on company website