Provides observation of selected patients for the purpose of identifying behaviors, which are potentially hazardous to self or others. Sitting with an identified suicidal patient requires a 1:1 ratio.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Clinical/Technical: Provides observation of selected patient(s) as directed by supervisory staff.
- Performs direct observation of patients for the purpose of identification of behaviors that are potentially hazardous to self or others.
- Immediately reports to RN observations of changes in patient's condition or hazardous behaviors.
- Remains attentive to the patient(s) at all times unless relieved of duty by the patient care staff.
- Uses safety measures for the patient and self in accordance with protocol.
- Assists unit staff in preventing patients from climbing out of bed by providing diversional activities such as reading to the patient.
- Notifies unit staff if verbal reminders and diversion are unsuccessful in distracting the patient(s).
- Assist clinical personnel in transferring patients to and from beds, wheelchairs or stretcher as requested.
- Reassures patient to obtain cooperation in a calming and professional manner.
- May be responsible for documentation of patient care flow sheet/observation record.
- Communicates with patients and encourages casual patient verbalization.
- Answers the patient's phone and relays messages as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the primary nurse.
- Unit Support: Provides unit support as needed.
- Assists unit staff during their provision of patient care activities, such as retrieving supplies and talking with the patient.
- May transport patients to/from tests and is to remain with the patient throughout the procedure.
- Development: Maintains current knowledge, certification and licensure.
- Practices within legal boundaries of applicable scope of practice and according to hospital policy and procedures.
- Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to address these education needs.
- Attends continuing education programs in order to maintain licensure.
- Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the department
- Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (CPR, PPD, Competencies, Age Specifics, etc.)
- Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between departments
- Participates on inter-departmental teams and committees, communicating unit knowledge as appropriate.
- Provides department/unit with information and knowledge acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams and committees.
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the unit.
- High School Diploma/Equivalent
- Previous experience in health care setting preferred
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION & REGISTRATION:
- CPR certification
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Apply on company website