At MemorialCare Health System, we believe in providing extraordinary healthcare to our communities and an exceptional working environment for our employees. Memorial Care stands for excellence in Healthcare. Across our family of medical centers, we support each one of our bright, talented employees in reaching the highest levels of professional development, contribution, collaboration and accountability. Whatever your role and whatever expertise you bring, we are dedicated to helping you achieve your full potential in an environment of respect, innovation and teamwork.
Under general supervision, schedules staff, evaluates, prioritizes, organizes, and completes technical, regulatory compliance, and operation functions of Cytology section. Participates in interactions and / or workflow with the Histology section, as needed. Accurately and efficiently reads, reports, and refers cytology testing results including use of Cytology / Histology computer software. Coordinates work activities and workflow, as needed. Interacts with Pathologists and other hospital staff members. Performs FNAs.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the Job
- Consistently follows all company and Cytology / Histology / Clinical Laboratory departmental procedures / policies.
- Meets population specific competencies, job competencies, regulatory and compliance competencies, and required professional licensure.
- Performs and completes GYN, Non-GYN, and FNA cytology processes using accurate, precise, and efficient means.
- Provides supports all regulatory compliance activities; participates in the creation of staff work schedules; evaluates, assists, and / or performs pre-analytic sample preparation, analytic activities, and post-analytic activities;
- Acts as a resource to other cytologists, cytotechnicians, and clerks to evaluate / resolve problems.
- Supports and participates in performance improvement projects for the department; involved and participates in activities that impact facility-wide success.
- Attends department education / training inservices; attends departmental meetings;
- Actively participates in the CAP Proficiency Test (PT) Program; distribution of samples; coordinating testing events; collection of samples, reports, and documentation; collating data / information for reporting PT results; obtaining appropriate signatures for result reporting.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires at least 2 years of experience as cytotechnologist including in the acute care setting. Knowledge and hands-on experience in Cytotechnology including Gyn, non-gyn, and FNA activities.
- Bachelors Degree; preferred
- California State Cytotechnologist license (active); required
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) certification; required
Apply on company website