Company: Menlo Microsystems, Inc.
Location: Albany, NY
Career Level: Mid-Senior Level
Industries: Recruitment Agency, Staffing, Job Board
If you have software simulation and device design experience with higher-frequency RF in the MEMS or semiconductor space, this position offers you some compelling opportunities. You will:
- Own the full development cycle for cutting edge RF MEMS ohmic switch devices, including a process design toolkit (PDK)
- Expand your experience in a broad role that spans concept to verification and includes design, simulation, and hands-on electronic testing
- Work with disruptive technology that has diverse potential with a goal of increasing power handling and frequency capabilities -- you will help us push to 60 GHz and beyond
- See the impact of your efforts as you work cross-functionally, helping teammates as well as the company design new products faster
- Launch a highly promising career with a well-funded startup, even if you are a recent graduate
Headquartered in Irvine, California, Menlo Micro is a spin-off from GE Global Research that is leveraging more than 10-years of R&D and GE's proven Digital-Micro-Switch (DMS) technology to create a scalable product development platform that drives disruptive shifts in digitally controlled, RF, smart, high-power switching applications with Smart-Relay-Systems. Our goal is to enable the future of Power IoT and Communications today.
Pictured: The Menlo Micro MM5120 is the world's first generally available high-power RF SP4T micro-mechanical switch. We have developed a new fabrication process and applied it to DC and wideband RF/microwave switch applications. This new innovative technology enables robust and highly reliable switches capable of greater than 25 W CW power handling at 6.0 GHz. To meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the RF MEMS Device Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- An MS or PhD in a science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) related discipline
- A strong background in semiconductor or electronic device physics and a demonstrated ability to design, simulate and characterize MEMS (preferably) or semiconductor devices with RF frequencies higher than 1 GHz
- Hands-on testing experience, either in school or on the job, ideally including RF wafer probing and bench-level RF/microwave testing Quick question for you - click here
- A demonstrated ability to investigate, find root cause, and correct actions of device failures
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to thrive in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; experience presenting complex RF theory and test results is a plus
- Good organization skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks and set priorities to meet goals in a fast-paced environment
- A desire to be a critical problem solver and innovator
- Experience using ADS design tool set
- In-depth understanding of RF, Microwave and EM theory and design at least to 12GHz
- Experience developing bench level RF test systems for device characterization
- Hands-on experience with microwave test equipment including spectrum analyzers, vector network analyzers, signal generators, power meters
- Proficiency with RF system design tools
- Proficiency with 3D RF FEM tools, e.g. HFSS, EMPro, CST
- In-depth understand of MEMS design, operation and theory
- The ability to do concept device layout
- Knowledge of MEMS or Semiconductor device fabrication and/or packaging
- Experience presenting findings and communicating design issues to various audiences
- Experience in RF device development, including design, simulation and characterization above 20GHz, RF MEMS experience
- Proficiency with RF device probe level test and test systems
- Knowledge of RF package technologies
- Knowledge of MEMS device fabrication
- Knowledge of RF device (passive or IPD) fabrication
- Knowledge of MEMS device mechanical characterization
- Capability with ANSYS, Coventor or Comsol of mechanical simulation
Pictured: The MM3130 device is a high power 6-channel SPST micro-mechanical switch offered in a 36 mm2 BGA package. Given its small form factor, significant power handling capability, and ultra-low DC and RF losses, the MM3130 can bring significant size and weight reductions to high power radio designs. You will be part of the New Technology Introduction (NTI) team and have responsibilities for technology development that span across multiple product platforms. The core of this role with be on RF MEMS ohmic switch device development, with focus on characterization and simulation activities to implement and maintain Menlo's RF MEMS switch process design toolkit (PDK) to supporting RF product development. In this role you will be a core member of NTI team that is responsible for developing and characterizing new ohmic MEMS switch device designs and architectures aligned with Menlo's product performance roadmap and its Metal MEMS process. You will report to the Technology Director and work within a fast-paced and energetic Technology team.
You will work in an innovative team environment supporting the Technology team with a goal to deliver a robust and evolving RF MEMS device Process Design Kit (PDK) capable of both a broad frequency range (DC to 67GHz) and wide RF RMS power handling (up to 50dB) for both device and microsystem solutions.
You'll work closely with layout, process and test development engineers to ensure design solution alignment. You'll also work closely with early adopting customers to ensure upfront spec alignment and system integration success. In this hands-on role, you will be responsible for the development and timely delivery of innovative fundamental design elements and architectures, that creates a robust platform for horizontal RF MEMS product launches.
More specifically, you will:
- Develop and deliver innovative RF MEMS device building blocks and architecture based on the company's Technology Roadmap that enable vertical and horizontal product development
- Establish, maintain and improve the Metal MEMS RF design PDK
- Use ADS and EMPro 3D for RF MEMS device, package and microsystem design and simulation Quick question for you - click here
- Perform probe level DC through RF performance characterization of devices, test structures and device building blocks
- Perform probe level DC and RF test for stress, reliability and failure analysis
- Work with NTI team members to develop and validate new technologies and design rules
- Work with customers who are early adopters to new technology, new device and new system architecture to simulate and validate innovative design concepts
- Work closely with product team to support transition of new design rules, updated PDK and product development
- Document validated design elements and present findings
- Generate core design and technology intellectual property
- Comply with all company quality and safety policies and procedures
We've been in business three years and, while our first year revenues were in the millions, we're still a small group -- that means every position is important. You'll work in a fast-paced and adaptive team environment that is developing innovative technology with impact on broad industrial and commercial products.
You will help us drive success nearly from the beginning. This is your chance to be part of a high-potential business, and as we grow, you can grow along with us, building a long-term career home.
Born out of a decade-long effort at General Electric's Global Research Center, Menlo Micro is bringing to the market a series of technology innovations that have enabled us to reinvent one of the most essential and fundamental building blocks required for nearly every electronic system imaginable . . . the switch. To read more about our technology follow the hyperlink, but be sure to come back to submit your resume/application: Menlo Micro Technology.
You'll work with seasoned leaders with decades of combined experience and wins ranging from past startup success to success at major corporations, as well as with talented individual contributors. All or our team members bring tremendous skill and a proven track record of success, ranging from important journal publications to a plethora of patents to business and leadership successes, both domestic and international, and more. You will add your own strong skills to that talent, and also have plenty of opportunities to learn and further develop your skills.
Unlike most startups, we have a decade of research behind us and $18.7 million backing to get us started. We already have clients with needs ranging from home automation to wireless power-charging and are in production with a product that will support GE's MRI technology. In fact, we're already so far along that we've added a supply chain team and we just launched the business in December 2016! In other words, you will enjoy the entrepreneurial atmosphere of a high-potential startup without worrying about the usual startup risks.
Excellent compensation and perks
We value our employees and offer:
- Competitive compensation and a robust, comprehensive benefits plan that includes a range of insurances, a 401(K) plan, paid time off and more.
- Equity! You're joining us on the ground floor and can earn stock options, which could be lucrative over the long term.
- Great work/life balance. While this is not a 9-5 role, we don't work typical startup hours. We still enjoy most evenings and weekends away from the office.
Your technical expertise will be central, but in our small environment, your interpersonal and communication skills also will be critical. Additionally, you should be comfortable in a rapidly growing environment where ambiguity is the norm. You're entering on the ground floor, so you can still help shape processes and procedures and help us align our priorities moving forward. Flexibility and adaptability will be critical to success.
Pictured: The MM3100 device is a high power, normally open (NO), six-channel single pole/single throw (SPST) micro-mechanical switch for RF and microwave switch applications. Innovations in the switch material system enable robust and highly reliable switches capable of >25 W that are an ideal replacement for pin diode switches in high power radio applications.
Apply on company website