If you combine professional RF and MEMS design experience with a strong understanding of product engineering and the ability to work effectively with team members, Marketing and customers, this position offers you some compelling opportunities. You will:
- Take ownership of a new role, created to expand design capacity and fulfill demand for advanced products. In this interesting and challenging role, you will definitely enhance your skills and experience.
- Work on cutting-edge, next-generation RF MEMS switch products, architecting solutions and driving products to meet customer needs and market demand.
- Serve as a leader, building from the ground up, coaching team members, seeing and setting infrastructure, and driving products to market. At Menlo Micro, you'll never be a cog in the engineering wheel, but rather an innovator delivering highly differentiated technology that will turn the industry on its heels.
- Work with disruptive technology that has diverse potential with a goal of increasing power handling and frequency capabilities -- we are pushing to 60 GHz and beyond.
- Quickly see the impact of your work as you contribute to systems and processes and see how your projects deliver on the company's strategy.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, Menlo Micro is a spin-off from GE Global Research that is leveraging more than 10-years of R&D and GE's proven Digital-Micro-Switch (DMS) technology to create a scalable product development platform that drives disruptive shifts in digitally controlled, RF, smart, and high-power switching applications. Our goal is to enable the future of Power IoT and Communications today.
Pictured: The Menlo Micro MM5120 is the world's first generally available high-power RF SP4T micro-mechanical switch. We have developed a new fabrication process and applied it to DC and wideband RF/microwave switch applications. This new innovative technology enables robust and highly reliable switches capable of greater than 25 W CW power handling at 6.0 GHz. To meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Lead RF MEMS Design Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- An MS or Ph.D. (preferred) in Electrical Engineering or a related field Quick question for you - click here
- A minimum of 5 years of professional RF design experience in a senior or lead role
- In-depth understanding of RF and EM theory and design
- An understanding of MEMS design, operation, and theory
- Demonstrated ability to design, simulate, and characterize RF devices
- Proficiency with HFSS, ADS, or other similar RF EM simulation platforms
- Experience using sound DOE practices for device verification and characterization
- Experience with RF device test and test systems
- Experience with RF package technologies
- Experience developing RF process design toolkits
- Demonstrated ability to identify issues, debug, and drive appropriate corrective actions
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and customer-facing skills.
- Experience developing data analytics is desired
- A desire to be a critical problem solver and innovator
Pictured: The MM3130 device is a high power 6-channel SPST micro-mechanical switch offered in a 36 mm2 BGA package. Given its small form factor, significant power handling capability, and ultra-low DC and RF losses, the MM3130 can bring significant size and weight reductions to high power radio designs. You will be a core member of the New Product Introduction Team (NPI), driving the development of new MEMS switch architectures and advanced switch products. You will be responsible for the design, simulation, 3D EM modeling, package modeling, hands-on verification, debugging, and successful transfer into the production of your new products.
You will work in an innovative team environment, along with the Technology team, to develop a robust and evolving RF MEMS device Process Design Kit (PDK) capable of both a broad frequency range (DC to 67GHz) and wide RF RMS power handling (up to 50dB) for both device and microsystem solutions.
More specifically, you will:
- Develop and deliver innovative RF MEMS products based on the company's technology and roadmap
- Work closely with Marketing and leading customers to drive spec alignment and system integration success Quick question for you - click here
- Use ADS and EMPro 3D for RF MEMS device, package and microsystem design and simulation Quick question for you - click here
- Work with Technology team to develop and validate new technologies and design rules
- Develop bench level RF device test capabilities, execute device verification, and support product characterization / qualification
- Work closely with the technology team to transition new design rules for next generation product development
- Drive advancements in design methodologies and product execution
- Comply with all company quality and safety policies and procedures
Note: This description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities. Make your mark
We've been in business three years and, while our first-year revenues were in the millions, we're still a small group -- that means every position is important. You'll work in a fast-paced and adaptive team environment that is developing innovative technology with an impact on broad industrial and commercial products.
You will help us drive success nearly from the beginning. This is your chance to be part of a high-potential business, and as we grow, you will grow along with us, building a long-term career home.
Born out of a decade-long effort at General Electric's Global Research Center, Menlo Micro is bringing to the market a series of technology innovations that have enabled us to reinvent one of the most essential and fundamental building blocks required for nearly every electronic system imaginable . . . the switch. To read more about our technology follow the hyperlink, but be sure to come back to submit your resume/application: Menlo Micro Technology.
You'll work with seasoned leaders with decades of combined experience and wins ranging from past startup success to success at major corporations, as well as with talented individual contributors. All or our team members bring tremendous skill and a proven track record of success, ranging from important journal publications to a plethora of patents to business and leadership successes, both domestic and international, and more. You will add your own strong skills to that talent, and also have plenty of opportunities to learn and further develop your skills.
Unlike most startups, we have a decade of research behind us and significant backing to get us started. We already have clients with needs ranging from home automation to wireless power-charging and are in production with a product that will support GE's MRI technology. In fact, we're already so far along that we've added a supply chain team and we just launched the business in December 2016! In other words, you will enjoy the entrepreneurial atmosphere of a high-potential startup without worrying about the usual startup risks.
Excellent compensation and perks
We value our employees and offer:
- Competitive compensation and a robust, comprehensive benefits plan that includes a range of insurances, a matching 401(K) plan, paid time off and more.
- Equity! You're joining us on the ground floor and can earn stock options, which could be lucrative over the long term.
- Great work/life balance. While this is not a 9-5 role, we don't work typical startup hours. We still enjoy most evenings and weekends away from the office.
Your technical expertise will be central, but in our small environment, your interpersonal and communication skills also will be critical. Additionally, you should be comfortable in a rapidly growing environment where ambiguity is the norm. You're entering on the ground floor, so you will help shape processes and procedures and establish the right design flow for the company. A process-oriented mind-set, along with flexibility and adaptability will be critical to success. You will also need a strong understanding of what has to happen to bring a product to the market.
Pictured: The MM3100 device is a high power, normally open (NO), six-channel single pole/single throw (SPST) micro-mechanical switch for RF and microwave switch applications. Innovations in the switch material system enable robust and highly reliable switches capable of >25 W that are an ideal replacement for pin diode switches in high power radio applications.
Apply on company website