This job support Mercy's philosophy of patient centered care by facilitating the delivery of health care services by providing knowledgeable support to the physician or mid-level provider in all aspects of patient care. This includes all interactions with patients and their families; in person during the clinic visit, telephonically and electronically.Job Duties
- Prepare instruments, supplies and protective devices for exam and testing prior to the visit.
- Rooms and prepares the patient for examination. This includes reviewing histories, allergies, medications, reason for visit and taking vitals.
- Per established standing orders of provider, orders/administers injections, orders/collects specimens for lab testing (ex. rapid strep tests) and performs phlebotomy as needed. Provides test results as directed by Provider.
- Provides patient instruction using pre-approved patient education materials specific to the chief complaint or for the health promotion of observed behaviors known to contribute to poor health, as directed by the provider.
- Prints after visit summary and completes discharge of patient from exam room. This may include scheduling a follow-up appointment, providing referral information or scheduling patients for testing procedures and providing instructions.
- Manages phone calls to patients regarding test/lab results and provides appropriate instruction for treatment, as directed by the provider.
- Processes medication requests/changes/refills per established written protocols. This includes having knowledge of medications, including basic dosages, side effects and interactions.
- Provides assistance with diagnostic procedures (ex. EKGs) and treatments (ex. Nebulizer treatments) as directed by the provider. This includes obtaining specimens, labeling and disposition to the laboratory and explaining diagnostic procedures to patient as needed.
- Manages sample medication according to organizational policy and procedure.
- Orders and maintains adequate but not excessive medical supply inventory.
- Collects and documents urine drug screens in compliance with regulations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General knowledge and understanding of anatomy, the diagnosis process, pharmacology (drug classifications, side effects, interactions) physiology, lab values, sterilization techniques and safe administration of medications.
- Operational knowledge of nebulizers, spirometers, EKG machines and other medical equipment.
- Ability to successfully perform venipuncture, EKGs, spriometry and other procedures as required.
- Basic computer knowledge and navigation of an E.H.R.
- One year experience in a medical office preferred.
- Education sufficient to obtain required licensure.
- Medical Assistant Certification required.
- Current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS), in accordance with the American Heart Association required.
- Iowa Dependent Adult Abuse & Iowa Child Abuse Mandatory Reporter training required. Employee must submit certification of completed training to Human Resources prior to start or transfer date.
Apply on company website