External Applicants Earn up to $5,000 Sign on Bonus!
This position supports Mercy's philosophy of patient centered care by presenting excellent customer service and enables the facilitation of positive patient outcomes by providing nursing support to a Mercy provider. Job Duties
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Prepares the exam and treatment rooms, including instrument, supplies and protective devices for exam and testing.
- Provides assistance with diagnostic procedures (ex. EKGs) and treatments (ex. Nebulizer treatments) as directed by the provider. This includes obtaining specimens, labeling and disposition to the laboratory and explaining diagnostic procedures to patient as needed.
- Processes medication requests/changes/refills per established written protocols. This includes having knowledge of medications, including basic dosages, side effects and interactions.
- Manages phone calls to patients regarding test/lab results and provides appropriate instruction for treatment, as directed by the provider.
- Prints after visit summary and completes discharge of patient from exam room. This may include scheduling a follow-up appointment, providing referral information or scheduling patients for testing procedures and providing instructions.
- Provides patient instruction using pre-approved patient education materials specific to the chief complaint or for the health promotion of observed behaviors known to contribute to poor health, as directed by the provider.
- Identify the portions of the encounter that were scribed on behalf of the provider using the scribe signature per policy.
- Accurately and thoroughly documents the encounter with the patient as it is being performed by the provider, which may include documentation in the following sections: problem list, history of present illness, review of systems, physical exam, assessment and plan, procedures and treatments performed by team, patient education, orders, medications, referrals, explanations of risks and benefits, and instructions for self-care and follow-up.
- Communicates a summary of the patient-reported information to the provider prior to entry of the room or within the room with the patient present.
- Populates patient-reported information into provider-built EPIC documentation tools for the specific disease states and preventative visits.
- Per established standing orders of provider, orders/administers injections, orders/collects specimens for lab testing (ex. Rapid strep tests) and performs phlebotomy as needed. Provides test results as directed by Provider.
- Rooms and prepares the patient for examination. This includes reviewing histories, allergies, medications, reason for visit and taking vitals.
- Prepares the progress note for the patient visit by manually bringing in provider-built EPIC documentation tools for the following sections: history of present illness, review of system, physical exam, assessment and plan. Ensures health maintenance section (including quality reporting measures) and immunizations are up to date.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills, computer skills, organization, time management, attention to detail and the ability to remain poised and efficient in a fast-paced environment.
- Previous experience in a medical office setting preferred.
- Education sufficient to obtain RN licensure required.
- Current license to practice as registered nurse in the state of Iowa or compact state required.
- Current certification in Basic Life Support, in accordance with the American Heart Association required.
- Iowa Dependent Adult Abuse & Iowa Child Abuse Mandatory Reporter training required. Employee must submit certification of completed training to Human Resources prior to start or transfer date.
- Must be able to lift up to 50# on occasional basis to assist with patient transfers.
- All lifting over 50# should be performed with team lifts.
- Able to push and pull of up to 25# of horizontal force on occasional basis and push and pull up to 40# of horizontal force on rare basis.
- Ability to administer CPR
Apply on company website