This position supports Mercy's philosophy of patient centered care by providing leadership and assuming responsibility for the general direction of the hospital and departmental activities in the absence of Administration and individual department managers/directors. Monitor and maintain compliance of regulatory issues. Responsible for the role of Patient Placement Coordinator including, managing patient flow, appropriate bed assignments and facilitating intrahospital and interhospital transfers. Job Duties
- Ensure that accurate and clinically relevant information is communicated with patients, their families, and co-workers at hand offs and other times as needed. Take all measures necessary to ensure that the appropriate and involved parties have communicated necessary information in order to allow for the best possible patient outcome
- Assign patients to appropriate bed, based on diagnosis and bed availability
- Assist in managing patient flow throughout patient's stay
- Answer phones promptly, clearly, and respectfully
- Facilitate intrahospital and interhospital transfers
- Facilitate staffing throughout the hospital, assign pod staff
- Respond to codes/met calls and Trauma Alerts when available
- Assist in obtaining medical equipment from Storeroom and Medical Store as needed.
- Admit DOA's to morgue. Communicate with Pathologist, Medical Examiners, Iowa Donor Network and Morticians.
- Respond to Patient Advocate and Condition H calls as needed
- Oversee Bed Capacity Plan and open/close Flex Unit.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) required
- License to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of Iowa required.
- Current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS), in accordance with the American Heart Association guidelines required.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Custom Patient Instrumentation preferred.
- Iowa Dependent Adult Abuse & Iowa Child Abuse Mandatory Reporter training required. Employee must submit certification of completed training to Human Resources prior to start or transfer date.
Apply on company website