This position supports Mercy's philosophy of patient centered care by providing safe and effective patient care by performing tasks and support functions under the supervision of a Licensed Nurse. Patient Care Technicians may fulfill an expanded role by performing additional tasks and responsibilities as delegated by their department. Job Duties
- Ensure that accurate and clinically relevant information is communicated with patients, their families, and co-workers at hand offs and other times as needed. Take all measures necessary to ensure that the appropriate and involved parties have communicated necessary information in order to allow for the best possible patient outcome
- Provide safe and effective patient care under the supervision of the licensed nurse by performing tasks and support functions as delegated by department
- Observe and communicate to the licensed nurse any changes in patient condition and pertinent information regarding the needs of the patient and/or significant others
- Demonstrate effective and age appropriate communication as well as the ability to understand the needs of the patient including non-verbal communication, fears, anxieties and language/cultural barriers
- Maintains accurate and real time documentation of patient care provided
- Assures patient privacy by knocking on doors, closing curtains and protecting patient information
- Responds within scope of practice to emergencies and life threatening conditions
- Demonstrates support for changes in practice designed to improve performance.
- Organize and prioritize daily work, taking into account the needs of patients, families and other health care workers
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of patient rooms and department work areas
- Assist in identifying quality improvement opportunities and demonstrate support for changes in practice designed to improve performance
- Ability to prioritize tasks, identify needs for changes in priorities and takes the initiative to recommend and implement changes in concert with their supervisor
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred
- In addition, must have ONE of the following:
- completion of a Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) or Health Support Professional program; or comparable education, training and experience in the absence of successful completion of a CNA or Health Support Professional program
- a minimum of 2 years in a Bachelors in Nursing Degree program
- first year student in an ADN program
- Current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS), in accordance with the American Heart Association required.
- Iowa Dependent Adult Abuse/Iowa Child Abuse Mandatory Reporter training required. Employee must submit certification of completed training to Human Resources prior to start or transfer date.
Apply on company website