This position supports Mercy's philosophy of patient centered care by providing safe and effective patient care by performing tasks and support functions under the supervision of a Licensed Nurse. Patient Care Technicians may fulfill an expanded role by performing additional tasks and responsibilities as delegated by their department. Job Duties
- Ensure that accurate and clinically relevant information is communicated with patients, their families, and co-workers at hand offs and other times as needed.
- Take all measures necessary to ensure that the appropriate and involved parties have communicated necessary information in order to allow for the best possible patient outcome
- Provide safe and effective patient care under the supervision of the licensed nurse by performing tasks and support functions as delegated by department
- Observe and communicate to the licensed nurse any changes in patient condition and pertinent information regarding the needs of the patient and/or significant others
- Demonstrate effective and age appropriate communication as well as the ability to understand the needs of the patient including non-verbal communication, fears, anxieties and language/cultural barriers
- Maintains accurate and real time documentation of patient care provided
- Assures patient privacy by knocking on doors, closing curtains and protecting patient information
- Responds within scope of practice to emergencies and life threatening conditions
- Demonstrates support for changes in practice designed to improve performance.
- Organize and prioritize daily work, taking into account the needs of patients, families and other health care workers
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of patient rooms and department work areas
- Assist in identifying quality improvement opportunities and demonstrate support for changes in practice designed to improve performance
- Ability to prioritize tasks, identify needs for changes in priorities and takes the initiative to recommend and implement changes in concert with their supervisor.
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred
- In addition, must have ONE of the following:
Completion of a Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) or Health Support Professional program
- A minimum of 2 years in a baccalaureate program
- One year in an Associates Degree in Nursing program
- Comparable education, training and experience in the absence of successful completion of a CNA or Health Support Professional program
- Current certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support, in accordance with the American Heart Association required.
Apply on company website