This position supports Mercy's philosophy of patient centered care by providing timely and accurate specimen collection and other laboratory support functions. The Phlebotomy Technician exhibits compassion towards our patients, provides outstanding customer service, and demonstrates professional behavior. Job Duties
- Participates in off-site collections and rotate to lab locations outside the hospital as required
- Receives specimens into the laboratory and delivers to proper locations
- Answers incoming phone calls and places outgoing phone calls in a timely manner using proper phone etiquette
- Perform specimen collection, including phlebotomy, respiratory swabs, and skin tests, with skill and compassion
- Assists with education and trains new staff and students
- Uses laboratory information system access information and enter information
- Actively seeks and identifies opportunities for process improvement
- Maintains and improves skills by participating in at least one continuing education activity annually
- Prioritizes workload to ensure timely collection of patient samples
- Communicates effectively and professionally with physicians, nurses, other medical personnel, patients, and families
- Follows laboratory procedures for specimen collection, order entry, specimen receiving, and all other duties
- Properly identifies patients and samples during the pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical phases of testing
- Ensures that accurate and clinically relevant information is communicated with patients, their families, and co-workers at hand offs and other times as needed. Take all measures necessary to ensure that the appropriate and involved parties have communicated necessary information in order to allow for the best possible patient outcome
Department Specific Duties
- Knowledge of specimen collection procedures, including venipuncture, capillary collection, TB placement, and respiratory swabs
- Knowledge of different patient populations and their needs, including neonatal, pediatric, geriatric, and trauma
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure without sacrificing quality
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and work with interruptions
- Skill to use the laboratory information system (LIS)
- Ability to detail-oriented
- Ability to complete appropriate documentation and paperwork clearly and completely
- Exhibits outstanding customer service to patients, families and colleagues.
- Experience preferred, but not required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent strongly preferred. Relevant experience to be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Preferred: Graduate of a phlebotomy training program or medical assisting program.
- Licensure, Certification, Registration
Preferred - one of the following:
American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), PBT (ASCP)
American Medical Technologists (AMT, RPT (AMT)
National Healthcareer Association (NHA), CPT (NHA)
Apply on company website