This position supports Mercy's philosophy of patient centered care by providing bedside respiratory care to patients as assigned by supervisors and given on the physician's written order for all respiratory therapy modalities in an inpatient setting. Responsibilities may also include Outpatient Pulmonary Function testing. Job Duties
- Performs all forms of respiratory therapy according to prescribed physician orders and standing written policies and procedures.N/A
- Performs ventilator set-up and airway maintenance and monitoring on critical care patients to include all age groups. N/A
- Attends & assists all code blues, high risk deliveries,c-section and Met calls housewide. N/A
- Performs CPAP/Bi-PAP set-up and monitoring in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.N/A
- Performs noninvasive cardiology procedures such as EKGs, holter and event monitors and processing associated paper work. N/A
- Assists physicians with bedside bronchoscopies in accordance with the Respiratory Therapy procedure. N/A
- Performs oximetry spot checks and oximetry sleep studies and accurately processes corresponding paper work. N/A
- Performs ABG sticks and utilizes the I-Stat machine and communicates ABG results to nursing staff or physicians. N/A
- Performs equipment function, check out, and cleaning as necessary in accordance with Respiratory Therapy policies and procedures.N/A
- Provides patient education on all modalties of Respiratory Care. N/A
- Participates in the charge role as applicable. N/A
- Performs pulmonary function studies as ordered by a physician in an accurate and responsible manner following manufacturers and departmental policies and procedures. N/A
- Ensures that the patient is performing the test to the best of his/her ability by observing the patient and comparing the test results as reproducible on at least three trials. N/A
- Performs quality control procedures and maintenance on equipment used in the testing area to ensure accuracy in test results. N/A
- Performs finger stick for testing hemoglobin and utilizes hemaque machine. N/A
- Performs machine calibration each morning prior to testing and logs results of calibration. N/A
- Assists in bronchoscopy if trained in area. N/A
- Assists in exercise laryngoscopes. N/A
- Assists in pulmonary stress procedures. N/A
- Assists with Trach Clinic. N/A
- Provides Patient Education on outpatient services. N/A
- Acts as primary preceptor and resource for new staff.
- Presents 1 educational topic to RT staff annually and to an ancillary department
- Participates in department quality improvement process, data collection or is a member of a hospital committee.
Department Specific Duties
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology as related to respiratory system.
- Use of calculator, verbal and written medical terminology.
- Should possess excellent communication skills.
- Previous experience preferred.
- State of Iowa Respiratory Care Practitioner License required.
- The department requires Registered Respiratory Therapist status within 90 days of hire.
- Basic Life Support in accordance with the American Heart Association required. Neonatal Resuscitation Program certification will be required within 1 year of employment with the exception of PFT Staff.
- Iowa Dependent Adult Abuse/Iowa Child Abuse Mandatory Reporter training required. Employee must submit certification of completed training to Human Resources prior to start or transfer date.
Apply on company website