This position supports Mercy's philosophy of patient centered care by providing support to customers, physicians and staff of Mercy Medical Center. The Shift Supervisor will serve as a patient care nurse and charge nurse. The Shift Supervisor will help guide staff through their Mercy Medical Center journey and help demonstrate leadership skills by being a clinical expert and successful role model of the unit. Leadership Competencies
- Formulates a future course that reflects departmental needs and is aligned with Mercy's vision. Translates the course into team goals and objectives, sets priorities, and directs the efforts of staff towards accomplishing them.
- Recognizes and acts on opportunities for growth and improvement to advance Mercy's goals.
- Inspires staff enthusiasm for and generates commitment to departmental and organizational goals.
- Standards and Accountability
- Holds team and self responsible for maintaining the highest possible performance standards and meeting agreed upon commitments.
- Sets and maintains high standards for service to patients, physicians, colleagues, and other Mercy departments. Incorporates needs and concerns of diverse constituencies into decision making.
- Planning and Decision Making
- Analyzes problems systematically and logically and is resourceful when developing and implementing solutions.
- Applies key financial concepts and analysis to decision making. Understands drivers of financial performance and takes these into account when developing strategies and making decisions.
- Develops and implements work plans with actionable components and measurable outcomes. Proactively monitors key performance indicators and makes real-time adjustments to ensure that progress stays on track.
- Regularly reassesses priorities and competing demands and adjusts allocation of own and staff time and resources to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Articulates logical and well-founded arguments that support conclusions. Matches communication style to the message and audience. Actively solicits opinions from others. Routinely provides others with the information they need to do their jobs.
- Routinely shares suggestions, advice, and insights on progress toward goals. Provides performance feedback that is constructive and actionable, and that highlights successes as well as areas for growth based on objective metrics.
- Developing People
- Selects and attracts outstanding staff from diverse backgrounds. Identifies and fills gaps in team skills and knowledge.
- Defines development objectives for self and staff that support performance goals and progress toward future skill development. Assists staff in developing their own careers by encouraging them to articulate their career goals, offering challenging growth opportunities, and providing necessary coaching and training.
- Managing Relationships
- Builds and maintains long-term relationships with others based on mutual respect and trust. Fosters cooperation and collaborative decision-making among staff with diverse backgrounds and interests. When conflict arises, works effectively towards solutions and compromises that take the needs of all parties into account.
- Provides regular updates on goal progress and works with own manager to minimize risks and resolve problems.
- Job Duties
- Ensure that accurate and clinically relevant information is communicated with patients, their families, and co-workers at hand offs and other times as needed. Take all measures necessary to ensure that the appropriate and involved parties have communicated necessary information in order to allow for the best possible patient outcome
Participates in monitoring and maintaining unit compliance with regulatory, accrediting, and policy standards/expectations, as evidenced in both mock and actual surveys.
- Manages customer complaints in a timely and caring manner in the absence of NM or ANM.
- Assists with department staffing to meet daily census needs and modifies staffing to meet departmental needs as necessary.
- Participates in regular department meetings as applicable
- Assists with recognizing outstanding individuals or teams in their department
- Collaborates with others to implement key initiatives and demonstrate performance improvement within the department based on quality metrics
- Practices cost containment efforts on a shift to shift basis by efficient use of time and resources, i.e., man-hours, patient charges, equipment, supplies.
- Fosters interdisciplinary, collaborative relationships within the department and organization
Serves as a positive role model for staff by demonstrating clinical expertise when providing direct patient care.
- Participates in the orientation and mentoring of new employees.
Participates in holding unit staff accountable by comprehensively investigating and then providing feedback when there are opportunities for performance improvement; followed by written details to Nurse Manger, which include employee response.
- Displays support for and awareness of Department Business Plan and assists with implementation of Action Plans toward meeting goals.
- Provides consultation, upon request, within area of clinical expertise to nursing staff or other health professionals throughout the organization.
- Demonstrates skills and assists others in computer navigation to access essential information efficiently and effectively.
Follows Mercy's safety guidelines, carries out job- specific safety duties and responsibilities, and promptly reports any unsafe conditions, situations, incidents and injuries.
- Demonstrated leadership skills required
- Two years clinical experience preferred
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) preferred
- Certification in clinical specialty preferred
- Current license to practice as a registered nurse in the state of Iowa or compact state required.
- Current certification in Basic Life Support, in accordance with the American Heart Association required.
- Current certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, in accordance with the American Heart Association preferred.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support will be required within six months of hire if not current.
- Iowa Dependent Adult Abuse/Iowa Child Abuse Mandatory Reporter training required. Employee must submit certification of completed training to Human Resources prior to start or transfer date.
Apply on company website