Eligible for up to $9000 signing bonus This position supports Mercy's philosophy of patient centered care by being a competent, respectful, and compassionate professional who is able to safely, appropriately, accurately, efficiently and independently follow Mercy's standards along with policies and procedures while caring for patients. The Registered Staff Nurse works with the unit specific team members to identify clinical problems, develop a plan, and educate patients and families. Job Duties
- Delegates to other staff registered nurse, licensed practical nurses, certified nursing assistants, patient care technicians, unit secretaries, and other staff positions specific to the department.
- Provides ongoing education to patients and families
- Communicates and collaborates effectively with all members of the healthcare team
- Adheres to and promotes patient safety practices throughout the patient experience
- Responds within scope of practice to emergencies and life-threatening conditions
- Demonstrate effective and age appropriate communication as well as the ability to understand the needs of the patient including non-verbal communication, fears, anxieties and language/cultural barriers
- Directs other licensed and non-licensed personnel in the provision of care to patients as assigned
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitor and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible and courteous environment
- Functions as a role model for current and new staff by creating a healthy work environment to facilitate the department's or unit's ability to meet identified goals and objectives
- Maintains accurate and real time documentation of nursing care provided to ensure the integration of information for use by the healthcare team, according to hospital policy and procedure related to documentation parameters
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills and judgment necessary to implement a patient plan of care, nursing interventions and procedures
- Continually assesses patient and family needs in order to provide quality care based on a patient centered care model
- Demonstrates competent assessment, planning, intervention, coordination and evaluation skills based on the individual patient plan of care
- Ensure that accurate and clinically relevant information is communicated with patients, their families, and co-workers at hand-offs and other times as needed. Take all measures necessary to ensure that the appropriate and involved parties have communicated necessary information in order to allow for the best possible patient outcome
Department Specific Duties
- Assesses and reassesses Suicide Risk, per policy, utilizing the tools provided and adapts the plan of care with appropriate interventions based upon assessment.
- De-escalates patients in crisis to prevent acts of aggression towards self and others.
- Conducts psycho-educational groups as needed and/or educates one to one on diagnosis, symptom management, medication, wellness, and positive coping skills.
- Monitors for withdrawal from alcohol and other substances and follows protocols and utilizes appropriate interventions based upon assessment.
- Sound background in basic nursing principles and procedures.
- Demonstrates competency in unit specific skills.
- Demonstrates ability to provide safe and effective basic nursing care.
- Role Models exemplary customer service skills including verbal and non-verbal skills and proper phone etiquette.
- Creates a welcoming environment for all healthcare team members.
- Committed to ongoing self-development and learning.
- Experience in acute care setting preferred.
- Experience in mental health and/or chemical dependency preferred.
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing preferred.
- Current license to practice as a registered nurse in the state of Iowa or compact state required.
- Current certification in Basic Life Support, in accordance with the American Heart Association required.
- Crisis Prevention & Intervention certification within 6 weeks of hire with recertification annually required.
- Iowa Dependent Adult Abuse/Iowa Child Abuse Mandatory Reporter training required. Employee must submit certification of completed training to Human Resources prior to start or transfer date.
Apply on company website