About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
Provides general nursing care to patients in Georgetown Physicians Group department, under the supervision of a physician or Registered Nurse. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION AND OR TRAINING REQUIRED: High School graduate or equivalent GED. Graduate of an accredited School of Practical Nursing.
- LICENSURE AND OR CERTIFICATION: Current state license as a Licensed Practical Nurse in the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia, or any combination as required based on work location (s). Basic Life Support (BLS) /Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification through the American Heart Association (AHA)
- EXPERIENCE: Prefer one year of work experience in a health care setting, preferably in an ambulatory care setting.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Knowledge of principles and skills needed for practical nursing to provide patient care and treatment. Knowledge of examinations, diagnostic, and treatment room procedures. Knowledge of medications and their effect on patients. Ability to calculate dosages as needed. Skill in administering a variety of treatments and medication, as directed. Ability to take vital signs and maintain records. Computer skills and aptitude, and prefer previous experience with EHR systems. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to maintain a safe work environment. Good interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patient, medical staff, and the public. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs general nursing care to patients, as assigned, including blood pressure checks, urine checks, weights, lab requisitions, finger sticks and calculation / administration of prescribed medications, according to MGUH and GPG policies and procedures.
- Assists providers and Registered Nurses (RNs) with the preparation of equipment and assists during treatment, examination, and testing of patients. Prepares examination rooms, restocks treatment area supplies and prepares / cleans medical equipment.
- Performs a variety of routine sterile and non-sterile treatments including, but not limited to: Biopsies, dressing changes, wound care, ambulatory-based treatments and procedures, oxygen administration, phlebotomy, device insertion and removal, other treatments that may arise.
- Monitors, records, and reports patient's condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to the physician and/or RN, both verbally and in written forms, according to predetermined guidelines. Documents care including vitals, medication reconciliation, specimens, tests, patient education and medication administration promptly in the appropriate Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system.
- Orders medications, prescription refills, immunizations, and medical supplies, and maintains organization and cleanliness of Medication Room under direction of Nurse Manager.
- Assists in providing oversight to the Medical Assistants with regard to prompt patient preparation, vital signs, charting of information, patient education, recording of medical history and information, specimens and tests.
- Greets patients and prepares them for physician examination. Screens patients for appropriate information. Instructs patients in the collection of specimen and tests. Labels specimens and prepares requisitions as needed in accordance with MGUH and GPG policies. Performs quality control checks and tests as directed after completing appropriate competencies.
- Collaborates with the physician/RN in evaluating the effectiveness of the nursing care delivered, and participates in patient/family training and education. When administering medication or immunizations provides the patient with VIS information or informs of possible side effects, and uses the “5 Rights” of medication administration: Right Patient, Right Drug, Right Dose, Right Route and Right Time.
- Contributes to the implementation of clinic objectives and quality assurance programs. Participates in projects including but not limited to specimen tracking and audits. Attends required meetings and participates in committees, as requested.
- Enhances patient satisfaction by providing concerned, personal, prompt and courteous customer service that supports the patients' right to dignity and privacy. Exemplifies SPIRIT Values, Quality Standards, and works within Joint Commission guidelines.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Apply on company website