About MedStar Georgetown's Neuroscience Specialty Unit
C5-2 is a 15-bed Neuroscience Specialty Unit. It is one of MedStar Georgetown's three inpatient Neurological/Neurosurgical Units which are part of our nationally renowned Neurosciences Center of Excellence. C5-2 was the first unit in Washington, DC and the 22nd in the entire United States to receive the AMSN PRISM Award!
C5-2 nurses care for postoperative adult neurosurgical patients with brain and spine disorders. The nurses also provide care to neurological patients, including Multiple Sclerosis patients who may require intravenous immunoglobulin treatment or chemotherapy.
C5-2 nurses participate in daily interdisciplinary rounds, working collaboratively with all members of the healthcare team to provide high-quality, patient-centered, specialty care. They are very engaged, participating in Shared Governance on the unit-level and Collaborative Governance throughout the hospital. The quality of care provided on C6-2 is exceptionally high; the unit has gone over three years without a CLABSI. Nurses joining C5-2 participate in focused neuroscience classes in addition to an individualized orientation on the unit.
General Summary of Position:
The incumbent in this position is responsible for providing competent professional nursing care using the nursing process. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; Bachelor's degree or higher in Nursing preferred
- EXPERIENCE: To meet unit criteria, at least two (2) years recent acute care experience in the relevant patient care area.
- LICENSE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse; certification in Basic Life Support. Certification in specialty or related specialty preferred.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Ability to perform the nursing technologies. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to set priorities and work under stress. Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- PRACTICE and QUALITY
- Provides relationship-based care that promotes continuous, consistent, efficient and accountable delivery of nursing care using the nursing process.
- Demonstrates professional practice utilizing the framework of the professional practice model and is grounded in a culture of safety and quality.
- COMMUNICATION and COLLABORATION
- Communicates and collaborates with inter-professional groups to ensure coordination, continuity and safe care.
- Communicates verbal information and documents written and electronic information that reflects the planned and delivered care for patients.
- Supports and contributes to the unit, department and organizational goals inclusive of the mission, vision and values.
- Demonstrates advocacy and support on behalf of inter-professional teams and patients.
- Delegates and supervises nursing staff in providing patient care and assumes leadership roles, e.g., charge nurserole. Participates in the development and implementation of quality activities.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Serves as a preceptor or mentor.
- Participates in professional development activities.
- Incorporates evidence-based practice and research into patient care delivery.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all-inclusive.
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Apply on company website