General Summary of Position:
Provides professional nursing care for clinic patients following established standards and practices. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. B.S.N. preferred.
LICENSURE AND OR CERTIFICATION: Registered Nurse license in the District of Columbia; CPR certification.
EXPERIENCE: Two years of professional nursing experience; At least 1 year of previous outpatient experience highly desirable.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient care. Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care; Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods, and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care; Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform Fetal Monitoring for Obstetric Patients during Non-Stress Tests when needed to support the Perinatal Diagnostic Ultrasound Center. Maintain annual competency in AWHONN Introduction to Fetal Heart Monitoring Online Program.
- Responsible for overseeing completion of back end nursing functions for patients such as medication refills, test results, order entry, patient portal communication and coordination of care.
- Performs patient telephone triage, assesses needs, and coordinates needs of patients who are seen within the Department of OBGYN. Chart documentation is completed in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
- Tracks lab specimens and liaises with laboratory vendors to ensure add-on tests are ordered. Also participates in internal audit processes and procedures for pathology and specimens.
- Performs quality control functions of medical equipment, as directed. Equipment in assigned area is properly cleaned and maintained at scheduled intervals, and maintained within compliance criteria of the Joint Commission, Department of Health, and other applicable regulatory bodies.
- Assists Nurse Manager IV in development of patient care protocols and reports as directed.
- Educates patient and family about diagnostic procedures, medications, nutrition, and maintenance of health and wellness, particularly related to Women's Health.
- Prepares equipment and aids physician during treatment, examination, and testing of patients, as necessary.
- Observes, records, and reports patient's condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to physicians. Dispenses medication as directed. Chart documentation is completed in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
- Assists Nurse Manager IV in staff assignments, education and competencies.
- Greets patients and prepares them for physician examination. Screens patients for appropriate information. Instructs patients in the collection of samples and tests.
- Maintains and reviews patient records, charts, and other pertinent information. Posts tests and examination results. Patient record is available and prepared in advance of patient visit, with lab tests and/or other examination results present in chart.
- Ensures that established departmental policies and procedures are followed. Attends meetings as indicated or requested by supervisor.
- Contributes to the implementation of clinic objectives and quality assurance programs. Participates in projects including but not limited to specimen tracking and audits.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees, as requested.
- Adapts to and excels in the use of all electronic programs utilized in the division/department to include, but not limited to, Centricity, MedConnect, Amalga, etc. Documents all vital signs, treatments, and medication/ immunization administration promptly.
- Enhances patient satisfaction by providing concerned, personal, prompt and courteous customer service that supports the patients' right to dignity and privacy.
- Exemplifies SPIRIT values and Quality Standards in all interactions with patients, staff and providers.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Apply on company website