About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
General Summary of Position:
The incumbent in this position is responsible for providing competent professional nursing care using the nursing process. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
5 West Inpatient Psychiatric Unit
The Inpatient Psychiatry Unit (5 West) at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital offers in-depth evaluation and acute care treatment of the broad range of psychiatric disorders.
5 West coordinates all patient care through an interdisciplinary team of healthcare professionals, including psychiatrists, nurses, mental health counselors, occupational and art therapists and case managers. The unit houses a 13-bed, acute care, voluntary adult program and is located on the fifth floor of the Main Building.
The nurses on 5 West organize and implement the daily care for each patient, collaborating with physicians, administering medications, attending the daily interdisciplinary treatment rounds, assessing patients on a continual basis and evaluating the effectiveness of the care.
- Education/Training: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; Bachelor's degree or higher in Nursing preferred
- Experience: To meet unit criteria, at least two (2) years recent acute care experience in the relevant patient care area.
- License/Certification/Registration: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse; certification in Basic Life Support. Certification in specialty or related specialty preferred.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Ability to perform the nursing technologies. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to set priorities and work under stress. Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- PRACTICE and QUALITY
- Provides relationship-based care that promotes continuous, consistent, efficient and accountable delivery of nursing care using the nursing process.
- Demonstrates professional practice utilizing the framework of the professional practice model and is grounded in a culture of safety and quality.
- COMMUNICATION and COLLABORATION
- Communicates and collaborates with inter-professional groups to ensure coordination, continuity and safe care.
- Communicates verbal information and documents written and electronic information that reflects the planned and delivered care for patients.
- Supports and contributes to the unit, department and organizational goals inclusive of the mission, vision and values.
- Demonstrates advocacy and support on behalf of inter-professional teams and patients.
- Delegates and supervises nursing staff in providing patient care and assumes leadership roles, e.g., charge nurse role. Participates in the development and implementation of quality activities.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Serves as a preceptor or mentor.
- Participates in professional development activities.
- Incorporates evidence-based practice and research into patient care delivery.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all-inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Apply on company website