MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.Job Summary
- The Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) provides a full range of cardiopulmonary diagnostic and therapeutic respiratory care services to patients of all age groups. The RRT has successfully achieved and maintain the required competencies and qualifications of this job description and serves as the primary resource to meet the respiratory care needs for the critical care, emergency, and pediatric patient. The RRT obtains, reviews, and interprets data and assesses the need for and response to respiratory care interventions in consultation and conjunction with medical, nursing and other disciplines to optimize patient care planning and delivery. Responds to cardiopulmonary emergencies, provides airway maintenance, manual, and mechanical ventilator support using a variety of devices and techniques and administers medical gases, humidity therapy, inhaled aerosol medications, bronchial hygiene, lung expansion therapies and instructs patient's family and continuing care providers in the administration of respiratory procedures and the proper use of respiratory therapy equipment and supplies.
- Associate's degree from a Co ARC approved institution of Respiratory Therapy, Bachelor's degree preferred.
- One year academic curriculum requiring clinical experience in Acute and Critical Care medicine.
- Prior experience and demonstrated abilities in Adult, Pediatric and Neonatal Critical Care, Pediatric and emergency care, and the implementation and application of patient-driven protocols are preferred.
- Prior experience in quality improvement, evaluation, counseling and coaching are also preferred.
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) from the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
- Current and valid Washington DC license Respiratory Practitioner License. BLS for the Healthcare Provider Certification. Certifications: N.R.P., P.A.L.S., A.C.L.S. are preferred.
- Ability to develop and maintain constructive interpersonal relationships and promote team collaboration and cooperation during conflict and difficult situations.
- Has good time management skills.
- Has knowledge of best practice for clinical performance, infection prevention and patient safety.
- Ability to manage changing workloads, staff & equipment shortages and patient care issues.
- Basic computer skills: data entry, e-mail, E.M.R. Contributes to in-service, education and training.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Apply on company website