- Job Summary
- The incumbent in this position performs secretarial, clerical and receptionist support duties necessary for the operations of a patient care unit. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- Minimum Qualifications
- CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TO AN APPROPRIATE COMBINATION OF EDUCATION/TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE.
- High School graduate or the equivalent (GED). Completion of a Unit Secretary Training Program or equivalent in experience.
- One-year experience as a unit secretary preferred. Experience in an acute care facility desirable.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Familiarity with basic medical terminology preferred. Ability to set priorities and organize many functions at the same time for an entire unit. Flexibility and calmness required in order to perform a variety of functions in a setting which may be stressful or change unexpectedly due to a patient's condition. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Must have effective communication and interpersonal skills to relate to patients with varying degrees of illness, staff and visitors. Must have the desire to function as a member of a healthcare team. Ability to learn and use basic automated systems for inventory, transmission of information and record keeping.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as a receptionist on the unit and provides appropriate assistance to families and patients.
- Transcribes doctor's orders and coordinates patient testing, procedures and appointments with other departments.
- Receives supplies, nourishments, check orders and places items in the appropriate storage areas.
- Maintains and operates the unit's computer system and other communication systems (e.g. bulletin boards, paging system, intercom, telephone etc.), transmits data for EKG's to Heart Station, responds to requests in emergency situations as well as to call lights.
- Maintains and controls medical records and assembles charts according to discharge procedures.
- Submits charges for treatments and/or CSS supplies according to established procedures.
- Check office equipment for maintenance and repair and requests needed services.
- Performs inventory of stock levels of sterile/non-sterile patient care and unit supplies and completes required records and prepares orders/credits for supplies.
- Exemplifies Guest and Staff Relations standards in all activities.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.","datePosted":"2020-10-09T04:51:07.908Z
Apply on company website