Build a better career with MSC.
Serving customer and community starts with the very best people doing their very best work. That is precisely what we have at MSC Industrial Supply Co., a leading North American distributor of metalworking and maintenance, repair, and operations (MRO) products and services. Watch HERE to find out why you should work at MSC and join us as we continue to build a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Requisition ID : 4748
Employment Type : Full Time
Job Category : Warehouse / Distribution
Work Location : Hanover Park, IL (Whse)
State or Province : Illinois (US-IL)
Potential Work Location : United States : Illinois : Hanover Park
Responsible for performing any combination of tasks to ensure the orderly, timely, and correct flow of materials and product for selection and shipment on the distribution center floor. Tasks may include but are not limited to retrieving and distributing material(s), inspecting materials for packaging, preparing materials for shipment or storage by placing items in appropriate areas.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Counts, weighs or measures incoming or outgoing items to compare identifying information and variety against bills, invoices, oral instructions, orders or other records; may use manual means or material handling equipment.
- Inspects/examines all material/shipments for quality issues, overages or shortages and reports findings to supervisor; takes corrective action as required.
- Opens containers, using steel cutters, blades or other hand tools; loads and unloads materials unto or from pallets, trays, racks and shelves by hand or by utilizing proper power lift equipment.
- Participates in routing, counting and inspecting items while loading and unloading carts or trucks; delivers and returns items to correct locations within the warehouse.
- Selects product and processes orders accurately as instructed manually and by computerized warehouse management operating system.
- Fills orders and issues materials and supplies per requests; documents transactions appropriately; keeps accurate records.
- Transports product and secures cargo properly and safely with weight evenly distributed.
- Ensures that product staged and stored is placed in safe areas and at safe heights.
- Remains alert with regard to safety procedures and proper handling of hazardous materials, taking care to work within warehouse safety guidelines and government regulations.
- Performs inspection of and maintains cleanliness or work areas.
- May maintain assigned equipment.
- Utilizes computerized system to accomplish tasks.
- Actively participate in LEAN and process improvement activities.
- Actively participate in general housekeeping activities.
- Assists with periodic physical inventory activities.
- Must be able to maintain established production/performance standards for specified period of time.
- Fosters the MSC Culture in the department and throughout the company to ensure fulfillment of MSC's vision and unity of purpose.
- Participation in special projects and performs additional duties as required.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma/GED preferred
- 1-2 years' experience in a packaging environment preferred
- Must be able to read and write in English.
- Ability to effectively communicate and follow instructions in oral and written form.
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals with or without hand-held calculators.
- Proficient in using RF scanner.
- Knowledge of and the ability to operate automated or computerized warehouse management operating systems.
- Must be able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must be able to independently write routine reports and correspondence.
- Must be able to easily recognize and compare 6-10 alpha-numeric combinations and do so accurately and quickly.
- Ability to use/operate lift trucks and sit down lifts preferred; fork lift licensure required if operating said equipment.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds (US) and push a wheeled cart weighing up to 150 pounds (US).
- Must be able to stand on hard surfaces for extended periods of time.
People. Collaboration. Insight. That's how you build something that works.
Built on a foundation of trust, MSC works side by side with our customers to help them drive business results. With more than one million product offerings and 75+ years of experience across industries, MSC strives to help our customers achieve greater productivity, profitability, and growth through inventory management and other innovative supply chain solutions.
We care about our associates and have programs in place to help our 6,500+ team members achieve their potential. When you join our team, you will receive rewards and recognition for your contributions, training and professional development opportunities, as well as a variety of benefits to support you and your family's health, well-being, and financial future.
If you are inspired to learn, take risks, and succeed as a team, you can build a better career at MSC.
Equal Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity.
Apply on company website