Note this role can be based in either Slough or Leeds
Here at O2, we're about technology that creates new and exciting experiences. It's why there are over 25 million people who choose to live life on O2.
Being part of Telefonica, one of the world's most innovative digital companies, we're able to open up all sorts of possibilities – not just for customers, but for the people who work for us, too.
Great benefits. Generous rewards. High-quality training. Ongoing career development. Flexible working. These are just some of the reasons we attract great talent.
Our inclusive approach to recruitment helps us be a true reflection of our customers and their communities. That's why everybody's welcome at O2 – it's time to get everyone in the room.
About the Team:
The Digital, Data & Innovation department is a technical centre of excellence for a number of technology domains that deliver services to the business and eventually to O2 customers. We develop O2 digital applications (e.g., MyO2, O2 Priority), IT capabilities for UK's Smart Meters and internal communication and collaboration tools for our employees, as well as Data, Analytics and Business Intelligence capabilities.
This is a unique opportunity to join a new data engineering team at one of the world's most innovative companies.
You will have access to an unparalleled volume and variety of raw data, which we manipulate and use in order to improve the services we provide to our customers, the internal operation of the company and the management of our network and other technical assets.
In this role, you'll be responsible for designing and developing high-performing and scalable software products based on the latest data platforms, infrastructure and open source tools, and using both batch and real-time data. You will be part of a team of data specialists solving critical business and technical problems based on innovative data centric solutions for the UK organisation and wider Telefonica Group.
You'll ensure that the right data is available, clean and complete for the data community. Working closely with the Data Scientists, you will develop and deploy the analytical models using the latest techniques to solve some of our most pressing business challenges.
This role will suit excellent, practical problem solvers with strong data and software development experience and the ability to be innovate, challenge, be curious and share what they discover.
- Evolve our big data infrastructure to continue to be at the leading edge and suitable to drive our data-driven decision making across the company.
- Design, develop and implement high performing technical data products based on big data technology, using the latest commercial and open source tools, and leveraging the large volumes of data available to you.
- Work closely with the data science community to develop models and run discovery work to solve our most challenging business problems using innovative advanced analytics and ML.
- Support the availability and preparation of new internal and external data to the data science and analytics community, making sure that it is suitable for analysis.
- Educate the rest of the business to continue on the transformation to a fully digital and data-driven culture.
Skills & experience:
- Expert in high performing software development (Scala, Python) and overall Hadoop environments (Spark, Hive, HBase, Impala, Yarn), including establishing development frameworks for software engineering.
- Experience in distributed and real time technologies (Flume, NiFi, Kafka, Solr)
- Experience in a DevOps environment; experience with Agile or other rapid application development methods.
- Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
- Great collaboration and teaming skills – able to engage, partner and educate effectively across a large organisation.
We'll be sending you emails about the status of your application. To make sure you receive these, please add @O2.com and @telefonica.com to your Safe Senders list.
We're looking to pay a competitive salary (depending on experience) for this position. We also offer plenty of extras to sweeten the deal, which could include things like bonuses, life assurance cover, health care and lots of flexible benefits.
We also believe a great work-life balance is important, so we're open to considering part-time and flexible approaches to working. Like to know more, feel free to raise it.
Join us and we'll encourage you to be bold every day. So take a deep breath, your career is about to go to exciting new places.
If you have any questions around the role then please email ResourceTUK@o2.com who will be happy to help.
Apply on company website