giffgaff – Senior Devops Automation Engineer
Who Are We?
giffgaff is a little different to your ‘normal' telecoms company. It's a mobile business owned by Telefonica, but run by its customers - our members. Sounds interesting? It is.
We want people to love what they do and love what giffgaff is all about. It's important to feel that way, especially in this energetic and competitive market. We're a spirited and disruptive bunch at giffgaff, not every now and then, but everyday, yes, even on Monday mornings. Each and every person, who comes and works at giffgaff, must believe that we are a David amongst Goliaths in Mobile-land. And much like David, we are successfully making a positive change.
The team is made up of highly skilled engineers from different tech backgrounds, like infrastructure, QA and web development. Now we focus on automation and delivering ‘assembly lines' that other engineers use to get their products out to members as quickly and efficiently as possible. Don't know what an ‘assembly line' is? Hit us up and we will be glad to explain what that means to us.
The Tooling team works with all product teams in the business and are essential for those teams to deliver their high-quality code to members.
Our goal is to make it easier for our software engineers to get that code out into member hands as quickly as possible and to make sure that code lives on a stable and robust platform.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about learning new technologies and enjoys working in an agile environment. You'll have to make tough decisions, implement best practice and provide compromises when situations are not ideal. Oh and you'll need to explain that to people. Not just the technical ones. Because we work in product teams where not everyone is a techie. It's fun, you get closer to the business and know more about why we do what we do, not just how.
Do you need to use Google to find answers to do your job? So do we! We aren't afraid to admit that we don't have all the answers and neither should you.
The core technologies in the team are Kubernetes, AWS, Jenkins and Terraform. If you don't have all of these skills then that's ok, as long as you have some of them and a real passion to learn the rest. Someone with experience developing CI\CD pipelines will be looked at favorably, especially if you are deploying into a microservices architecture run on Kubernetes.
We expect you to be comfortable in at least one programming language in order to slot into the team and pick up work on day one.
- Developing CI\CD pipelines
- At least one programming language
- Holds either an AWS or Kubernetes certification
Our Tech Stack
- We use AWS EKS in production with spot instances as our worker nodes.
- We setup and manage an ephemeral Jenkins server running AWS spot instances as agents.
- Full CI\CD assembly lines written in groovy which incorporate deploying microservices, setting up AWS infrastructure, change management, testing etc.
- Candidates with any of the following skills will be strongly preferred: Amazon Web Services, Kubernetes, CI\CD, Go, Terraform, Ansible, Jenkins.
The Nuts & Bolts
- Love delivering a wow to our members
- Ability to communicate clearly at all levels of our organisation
- Curiosity & Creativity
- Excellent attention to detail
- Have an interest in technology, mobile and able to work under pressure and manage workloads effectively
- Organised, self motivated and accountable for own workload
- A strong team player
- Fun to be with and work with
This is a chance to work for one of the most sought after UK companies, highly regarded for its community model. In return for your outstanding efforts, you'll be rewarded with a competitive salary and excellent benefits. We believe that hard work should be supported and recognised. This position plays an important role across the business, allowing you to work cross functionality, take on more responsibility and gain experience, which will greatly benefit you in the future.
Apply on company website