BASIC FUNCTION: Under the direction of the Chief Talent Officer, with day-to-day oversight by the Director, Recruitment & Retention, the Coordinator, Employee Diversity and Inclusion will advocate and develop systemic diversity and inclusion staffing initiatives within Oakland Unified School District and the community at large as it relates to hiring and retaining diverse teachers and leaders. The position has the responsibility for designing and implementing the necessary shifts in recruitment, selection and organizational culture to better serve children and families situated farthest from opportunity. The Coordinator, Employee Diversity & Inclusion position will represent the district by cultivating relationships with influential community organizers, thought leaders, and partners as well as nationally-recognized organizations focused on diversity and inclusion to maximize the collective impact of our targeted strategies for growing and retaining a diverse staff, and effectively communicating the successes of our targeted recruitment and retention strategies.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: Incumbent may perform any combination of the essential functions shown below. This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, knowledge, or abilities associated with this classification, but are intended to accurately reflect the principal job elements.
- Advise and support OUSD staff on matters related to diversity and inclusion; leverage relationships with local, state and national organizations and agencies focused on diversity and inclusion related issues to design professional development among district staff
- Build and nurture strategic partnerships and promote OUSD's commitment to the recruitment and retention of diverse teachers and leaders through interactions with other school districts, community-based organizations, foundations, and state and national organizations focused on diversity and inclusion related issues and initiatives to develop and share OUSD's best practices around improving representation of teachers and leaders of diverse and inclusive backgrounds and experiences.
- Partner with Community Investment and Talent to develop an outreach plan for affinity-based conferences and external organizations with the objectives of diversity recruitment, professional development for employees, and building an overall brand for OUSD as an employer advancing diversity and inclusion.
- Researches, develops, recommends, and executes creative strategies to foster the OUSDs diversity goals.
- Reviews current practices and policies, assessing and analyzing the extent to which they support or hinder the OUSDs diversity goals.
- Collects and analyzes statistical data to evaluate the OUSDs population in accordance with diversity standards and goals.
- Drafts and implements recruiting and hiring strategies to attract employees from diverse backgrounds. Develops and/or acquires training and development to aid diversity and retention initiatives. Maintains knowledge of diversity-related issues, legislation, and best practices.
- Performs other related duties as assigned at the discretion of OUSD Chief Talent Officer.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to: a Bachelor's degree in any discipline or some combination of education and relevant experience.
- Three years of experience leading strategic initiatives with large school district impact, including building strong relationships with all levels throughout the district.
- Three years of experience leading Diversity & Inclusion strategy implementation.
- Master's Degree in HR, Organizational Effectiveness, Sociology, Psychology, or a closely related field or equivalent combination of education and training preferred; educated in Emotional Intelligence and unconscious bias is preferred.
- Candidates from the community and former OUSD students are encouraged to apply.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid California Driver's License
- Employment eligibility will include fingerprints, Tuberculosis and/or other employment clearance
- PHR, SPHR, D&I certificates, career/life coaching certificates; demonstrated cultural intelligence and cultural competence, is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Applicable sections of the State Education Code and other laws, rules and regulations regarding assigned activities related to Human Resources.
- Preparation of comprehensive, clear and concise reports. Express difficult concepts clearly in oral and written communications.
- Exercise initiative and work independently on assigned projects.
- Work cooperatively with other employees
- Highly effective and professional communication skills with staff, students and families
- Ability to adapt and align on school-related initiatives
- Highly organized, goal-oriented, and focused on outcomes
- Ability to communicate with and build relationships with staff, students and their families in the culturally and linguistically diverse OUSD community
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Effective communication skills (written and oral), and ability to provide quick turn-arounds on work product is required)
- Ability and desire to be a “team player” and to collaborate with colleagues, parents and community members Analyze information and to think critically
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, plan workflow and take initiative
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization and work well under pressure
Office environment; driving a vehicle to conduct work; rapid-paced work, constant interruptions
Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and make presentations; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard; seeing to monitor various activities and read documents, and view computer monitors; sitting or standing for extended periods of time; kneeling, bending at the waist, and reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally; lifting light objects.
The Oakland Unified School District does not discriminate in any program, activity, or in employment on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, gender, sex, or sexual orientation.
Apply on company website