Are you looking for a company that cares about people's lives and health, including yours? At Olympus, we help make people's lives healthier, safer and more fulfilling, every day. We're currently looking for a Principal Mechanical Engineer to join us in our Waltham, MA office.
Let's inspire healthier lives, together.
We are looking for an experienced Principal Mechanical Engineer to work on a range of portable and benchtop analytical devices based on XRF (X-ray fluorescence) and XRD (X-ray diffraction) products. He/ she will be working with an experienced team of scientists and cross-disciplinary engineers to enhance existing products and create new best-in-class products. Our customers expect robust products that can survive the rigors of field use so a good appreciation of how to realize a rugged design that is sealed against water and dust and that can operate at temperature extremes is essential.
* Evaluating designing modifying and integrating mechanical parts and sub-components in complex hardware systems.
* Collaborating with scientists engineers and product managers to determine optimum solutions for delivering best in class products to our customers.
* Supervising the activities of other personnel or serving as a mentor to junior employees and interns.
* Creating and maintain drawings specifications and other documentation for new and existing products.
* Maintain responsibility for CAD documentation and use of the department's configuration control system (such as ECN's and First Article Approvals).
* Creating test fixtures and participating in design qualification testing.
* Creating procedures and assembly instructions for production service and other stakeholders.
* Plan complex work packages and schedules manages technical risks proactively communicating technical information with all levels of organizations appropriately.
* Working independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments.
* Actively looking for continuous improvement opportunities to save time money or materials.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree in Engineering required (Mechanical or Materials preferred).
* Minimum 12 years of experience in the mechanical design support and documentation of instruments or industrial products; or an Master's Degree and a minimum of 8 years of experience or a PhD and a minimum of 5 years.
* Master's Degree or PHD preferred
* Strong capabilities with SolidWorks or comparable CAE tools.
* Familiarity with CAD simulation tools (FEA CFD MoldFlow).
* Experience designing for IP65 / NEMA 4 standards heat dissipation drop testing sealing compact size.
* Previous experience with XRF or XRD desired.
* Ability to work well individually and as a member of a team.
* Good attention to detail.
* Good verbal and written communication skills.
We realize work isn't just a job to you.
It's a big part of your life, but not the only part. That's why we offer competitive salaries, a robust 401(k) program, annual bonus program and comprehensive medical benefits, as well as tuition reimbursement, flexible schedules, parental and adoption leave, on-site services and Colleague Affinity Networks — so you can be ready for where life can take you.
Apply on company website