The Hostler is responsible for safely positioning and maneuvering trailers to and from the dock.
- Maintain and contribute to a safe work environment by adhering to policies and procedures as outlined in the Company Safety Program.
- Properly pre-trip and inspect each trailer to meet DOT compliance standards.
- Correctly position trailers on the dock using a yard switcher tractor.
- Switching trailers as needed during the daily sort.
- Hook up sets of trailers for line hauls leaving the facility.
- Cleary communicate all trailer moves and trailer numbers with operations management.
- Perform any other task or assignment as deemed necessary by the organization.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
This position requires:
- The ability to read and understand English and apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manual
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks in a warehouse environment.
- Ability to work at a consistent rate performing highly physical work.
- Ability to work and make yard moves with the big picture in mind (yard awareness)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will work in warehouse environment. The employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The noise level is usually moderate.
While performing the duties of this job:
- The employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is frequently required to communicate verbally.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, bend, climb, push, pull, twist or crouch.
- The physical activity associated with this position is considered high. The employee will regularly lift, push, pull and/or move items up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred.
- One year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of both.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- Minimum one year driving experience. Must provide 5 or 10 year (length depends on state licensing agency) MVR from state DMV.
- No more than one moving violation conviction in the past 12 months.
- No more than three moving violation convictions or preventable/at fault accidents in the last 13-36 months.
- No DUI convictions within the last 5 years.
- Driver's license cannot be suspended for more than 60 days in the last 36 months.
- Any driver required to have proof of financial responsibility (SR 22) on file with the DMV, cannot be used.
Apply on company website