This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon's largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We're searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world's clean energy future!
Manager, Enterprise Operations (IT) - Automation
In this role, you will be the leader of an Infrastructure team focused on operational excellence and maintenance of infrastructure systems. You will have the opportunity to work on infrastructure with a wide range of technology in a dynamic organization with a mission. You will drive automation of operational tasks such as patching and system upgrades and will work with other operation managers to provide incident response and reduce friction for PGE employees.
Enterprise Operations (IT) - Conducts active monitoring, triage, remediation or escalation of events within the IT environment including areas such as datacenter, network, server, application event data and workflow automation of scheduled tasks to support proactive operational awareness. Provides physical datacenter support (e.g., racking and stacking server equipment, cabling, power deployment, environmental needs, vendor relationships in support of preventative maintenance, and tape rotations/restores). Supports administration functions on core Enterprise Operations applications.
Key Job Information
Manages professional associates and/or supervisors. Is accountable for the performance and results of a team. Adapts departmental plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges. Decisions are guided by policies, resources and business plan; receives moderate guidance from manager. Provides subject matter guidance to associates, colleagues and/or customers
- IT Management - Takes responsibility for the design, procurement, installation, upgrading, operation, control, maintenance (including storage and communication of data, voice, text, audio and images) and effective use of IT infrastructure components and monitors their performance. Provides technical management of an IT operation, ensuring that agreed service levels are met and all relevant procedures are adhered to. Schedules and supervises all maintenance and installation work. Ensures that operational problems are identified and resolved. Provides appropriate status and other reports to specialists, users and managers. Ensures that operational procedures and working practices are fit for purpose and current.
- IT Strategy and Planning - Ensures that all stakeholders adhere to IT strategic management approach and timetables. Collates information and creates reports and insights to support IT strategic management processes. Develops and communicates plans to drive forward the strategy. Contributes to the development of policies, standards and guidelines for IT strategy development and planning.
- Financial Management for IT - Advises on financial planning and budgeting. Develops financial plans and forecasts. Monitors and manages IT expenditure, ensuring that all IT financial targets are met, and examining any areas where budgets and expenditure exceed their agreed tolerances. Assists with the definition and operation of effective financial control and decision making, especially in the areas of service, projects and component cost models and the allocation and apportionment of all incurred IT costs. Analyses actual expenditure, explains variances, and advises on options in use of available budget.
- Resourcing - Conducts job analyses, prepares job descriptions and person specifications, and prepares selection and evaluation criteria for candidates. Manages recruitment campaigns. Locates and selects possible agencies and other suppliers, negotiating terms and conditions, and placing orders with them, ensuring that all obligations are met in accordance with the agreed terms and timescales. Reviews candidate details, manages selection processes, and ensures that account is taken of relevant statutory or external regulations, standards and codes of good practice. Ensures that all relevant parties are informed of the results of interviews and other decisions and assists in the negotiation of terms and conditions of service.
- Professional Development - Determines the required outcomes for learning or development, from organizational development needs and the training strategy. Mentors assigned practitioners, ensuring alignment with predetermined statements of required development outcomes. Assists each practitioner with the creation of development plans based on the outcome statements. Ensures that each practitioner records evidence of progress. Validates practitioners' records at the end of each cycle of planned development, to ensure that achievements and enhanced capabilities are recorded and referenced to the outcome statements. May contribute to practitioners' performance appraisals.
- Applications Support - Captures and prioritizes market and environmental trends, business strategies and objectives, and identifies the business benefits of alternative strategies. Establishes the contribution that technology can make to business objectives, conducting feasibility studies, producing high-level business models, and preparing business cases. Leads the creation and review of a systems capability strategy that meets the strategic requirements of the business. Develops enterprise-wide architecture and processes that ensure that the strategic application of change is embedded in the management of the organization, ensuring the buy-in of all stakeholders. Develops and presents business cases, for high-level initiatives, for approval, funding and prioritization. Ensures compliance between business strategies, enterprise transformation activities and technology directions, setting strategies, policies, standards and practices.
- Incident Management - Coordinates the identification and assessment of new and emerging hardware, software and communication technologies, products, methods and techniques. Evaluates likely relevance of these for the organization. Provides regular briefings to staff and management.
- Customer Service Support - Recognizes potential strategic application of information technology capabilities. Initiates and manages investigation and development of innovative methods, practices and technology, to the benefit of organizations and the community. Plays an active and dynamic role in improving the interface between all interested parties, facilitating knowledge flow to enable sharing and development of creative ideas.
- Facilities Management - Develops and maintains the standards, processes and documentation for data centers. Optimizes efficiency in population of data center space. Ensures adherence to all relevant policies and processes. Uses data center management tools to plan, record and manage the types of infrastructure installed and the associated power, space and cooling capabilities, usage and actions to meet corporate sustainability targets.
- Asset Management - Controls IT assets in one or more significant areas, ensuring that administration of the acquisition, storage, distribution, movement and disposal of assets is carried out. Produces and analyses registers and histories of authorized assets (including secure master copies of software, documentation, data, licenses and agreements for supply, warranty and maintenance), and verifies that all these assets are in a known state and location. Acts to highlight and resolve potential instances of unauthorized assets such as unlicensed copies of software.
- Requires a bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
- Prefer eight or more years in related field.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
- Intermediate knowledge and experience supporting operating systems with an advanced knowledge of a specific discipline (UNIX or Windows).
- Advanced knowledge with network and security functions.
- Advanced knowledge with scripting and batch processing.
- Advanced knowledge of client-side scripting skills.
- Working understanding of ITIL or other service operations framework.
- Progressive knowledge of software/application lifecycle management.
- Advanced knowledge of data center design and facility management
- Advanced customer focus skills.
- Advanced accuracy skills.
- Advanced risk management skills.
- Advanced vision creation skills.
Leader Practices: Drives Results Plans and Aligns Decision Quality Drives Engagement Courage
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
The posting closes at midnight (Pacific Time) on the closing date below:
Apply on company website