This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon's largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We're searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world's clean energy future!
The Senior Originator will be a recognized expert and will anticipate internal and or external business challenges, vendor and/or regulatory issues; recommending process, product or service improvements. They will solve unique and complex problems that have a broad impact on the business.
In this role, you will lead commercial and strategic approaches for maximizing value and effectively managing risks associated with PGE's power supply portfolio. Putting your analytical skills to work, you will focus on developing models and market strategies to assess economic value and price risks inherent in complex transactions and negotiations across the enterprise as well as on developing structured proposals for deals involving any combination of energy (electric, gas and services) that provide mid- to long-term strategies for fueling power plants and effectively managing power supply portfolio.
What you will accomplish in the role:
- Lead a cross-functional team in designing, marketing and implementing structured energy and risk management products and strategies to reduce costs, optimize assets and reduce risks associated with PGE's resource portfolio and wholesale market activities; ensures risks and benefits of structured products are identified, priced and allocated.
- As the primary negotiator, lead teams to evaluate and negotiate large and complex transactions to acquire new energy resources, contracts and infrastructure; orchestrates the competitive bidding process and other procurement activities to acquire long-term resources; ensures that contract terms and conditions meet PGE's commercial, operational and risk-mitigation requirements.
- Serve as a project team lead to identify and assess potential changing market dynamics or fundamental drivers that could impact price or availability of fuel and related assets; as a senior specialist, provides expert guidance regarding market changes and drivers.
- Orchestrate highly effective outbound marketing to develop positive commercial relationships and opportunities with counterparts in the wholesale energy markets; facilitates the exploration of new markets; develops and executes bilateral partnerships, contracts and asset transactions.
- Represent PGE as an expert in the wholesale markets and at industry forums and conferences; represents PGE's interests in regulatory and rate case proceedings.
What you will bring to this role and to PGE:
Education: Requires a bachelor's degree in business, finance, economics, computer science, mathematics, engineering or other related field or equivalent experience. An MBA or MS in finance, economics or related financial discipline preferred.
Experience: Typically twelve or more years in the energy industry or related field.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of the electric utility industry and electric energy markets, including trading, scheduling procedures, state and federal policies and regulations and underlying physical infrastructure and networks
- Advanced knowledge of financial concepts, including options, swaps, futures, forward contracts and asset valuation methods
- Advanced business acumen
- Advanced entrepreneurial skills
- Advanced financial and risk modeling skills
- Advanced skills in analyzing energy market conditions or trends
- Advanced written and oral presentation skills
- Advanced skills in promoting and selling products and services, including marketing strategy and tactics
- Advanced skills in negotiating contracts
- Advanced analytical thinking skills
- Advanced creativity and innovation skills
- Advanced diplomacy skills
- Advanced organization and prioritization skills
- Advanced presentation/facilitation skills
- Advanced problem-solving skills
- Advanced risk management skills
- Occasional Overnight Travel inside/outside the service territory - (one to two times a month or less)
- Computer use (use computer regularly for entire work shift)
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
This job posting will close at 12:01 am Pacific Time on the closing date listed below:
Apply on company website