This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon's largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We're searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world's clean energy future!
Senior Safety Specialist - Beaverton Line Center
As the Senior Safety Specialist for our Beaverton Line Center, you will Design, develop, implement and oversee the organization's safety programs to safeguard employees and the public, and to ensure compliance with laws, standards and regulations.
In this role, you will be partnering with Field Supervisors and Managers to assist with the safety performance of their groups. You will deliver safety messages, monitor employee performance (observations in the field), and provide coaching on proper tools and techniques. You will also conduct safety committee meetings and investigative interviews. This role will be out in the field about 50% of the time, working at the Beaverton, Wilsonville and Sunset Line Centers.
- Reporting and Analysis - Leads investigations in collaboration with managers and other staff. Tracks, reviews and analyzes data and prepares presentations and communications. Leads action items resulting from investigatory reports and/or data and trend analysis. Uses predictive analytics to develop new programs or initiatives.
- Program Management - Proactively identifies safety programmatic needs. Recommends or develops innovative safety programs to meet business objectives and comply with all relevant state and/or federal laws and regulations. Integrates industry best practices into existing programs. Collaborates with other areas to ensure program alignment.
- Consultation/Education - Proactively provides information to employees, managers and other departments. Analyzes business needs and leads collaborative efforts with other areas of HR to deliver business safety solutions aligned to industry best practices. In collaboration with other departments, develops and implements safety educational strategy for employee and/or public safety. Leads the design and delivery of safety educational programs and materials.
- Special Projects - Initiates and leads special projects to meet corporate objectives engaging closely with other departments and other areas within HR. Leads meetings and/or specialty teams to implement projects or initiatives. Depending on position may assume leadership roles in emergency response up to and including incident command.
- Compliance - May provide formal written commentary to regulators on proposed regulations. Oversees regulatory and compliance reporting. Tracks compliance related documentation. In collaboration with Legal Services, responds to questions from regulators and serves as a point person for safety-related regulator inquiries and communications. Ensures all projects and initiatives comply with applicable laws and regulations.
- Requires a bachelor's degree in science, business, human resources or other related field or equivalent experience.
- Typically, eight or more years in professional safety and/or in electric generation, transmission and distribution operations; or, depending on position, drug and alcohol or ergonomic program management.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Associate Safety Professional (ASP), Construction Safety & Health Technician (CHST), Occupational Health & Safety Technologist (OHST), Certified Utility Safety Professional (CUSP), Certified Occupational Safety Specialist (COSS) preferred depending on position.
- Journeyman card or equivalent trade or operator qualification and/or ergonomic certification preferred depending on position.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
- Advanced knowledge of employment laws related to area of discipline.
- Advanced knowledge of PGE's policies, procedures, collective bargaining agreements and benefit plans.
- Advanced knowledge of industry best practices related to area of discipline.
- Advanced skills in project management.
- Advanced skills in writing reports.
- Advanced skills in facilitation and presentations.
- Advanced skills in systems and programs used in functional area, including data retrieval.
- Advanced customer focus skills.
- Advanced safety leadership skills.
- Advanced skills in analytical thinking.
- Expert skills in problem solving.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Expert interpersonal skills.
- Advanced decision-making skills.
- Advanced organization and prioritization skills.
- Advanced knowledge of business process interrelationships.
- Advanced business acumen.
- Advanced skills in change leadership.
- Advanced risk management skills.
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
This job posting will close at 12:01 am Pacific Time on the closing date listed below:
Apply on company website