LPN Health Unit Cordinator Part Time M/T/W 2pm-10pm or 3pm-11pm
Under the direction of Unit Manager, Charge Nurse or Director of Nursing, the Health Unit Coordinator performs administrative support activities required for proper transcription of medication and treatment orders and documenting and coordinating care from patient admission through discharge. The Health Unit Coordinators primary responsibility is clerical to support nursing staff with the goal to optimize professional care service provided to our patients. In addition, the Health Unit Coordinator is skilled in the procedures required to fully transcribe and process authorized health practitioner orders under the supervision of a licensed nurse.
The Health Unit Coordinator is also responsible for managing the Unit by keeping the area stocked, orderly and standard-ready.
The Health Unit Coordinator may work varying work schedules based on center needs.
Greeting/Welcoming Patient and Others:
1. Greet patients, physicians, visitors and staff who arrive on the unit.
2. Respond to patient, physician, visitor and staff requests and concerns.
3. Communicate center policies to patients, visitors, staff (i.e. visiting hours, smoking policy).
4. Introduce patients and families to the physical plant and room amenities upon admission.
5. Prepare name bands and other identifying tags for the patient and the patient's assigned room/equipment.
6. Check patients' rooms to assure readiness for a new admission.
1. Communicate with patients and staff via intercom systems.
2. Send and receive documents via the fax machine.
3. Contact staff via telecommunication systems (i.e. pagers, cell phones).
4. Answer and process unit telephone calls.
5. Screen telephone calls and visitor requests for patient information to protect patient confidentiality according to HIPAA regulations.
1. Support nursing and social services in the scheduling, tracking and maintenance of internal and external healthcare provider appointments from admission through discharge:
* Schedule appointments for diagnostic testing at other facilities.
* Schedule transportation for patients to travel outside the center for appointments
* Prepare appropriate medical records for transportation with patient to external appointments.
* Schedule and coordinate family members and/or CNAs to accompany patients to appointments as needed.
* Complete forms necessary to arrange transportation for patients.
* Document appointments and complete reminder cards for patient appointments.
* Track podiatry, orthopedic and dental visits.
* Maintain and update NA Care Cards.
* Ensure patients' arrival at scheduled appointments on time.
2. Support nursing and social services to ensure that care plan meetings are communicated to patients, family members and responsible parties.
* Generate and mail out care plan meeting invitations to patients, family members and responsible parties.
1. Check charts for orders that need to be transcribed.
2. Interpret medical symbols, abbreviations and terminology correctly.
3. Recognize order categories (i.e. standing, one time, prn, and stat).
4. Clarify questionable orders through communication with the licensed nurse.
5. Indicate on order sheet that each order has been processed.
6. Sign off orders (e.g. signature, title, date and time).
7. Flag transcribed orders for review and co-signature by the licensed nurse.
8. Process orders according to priority on the unit.
1. Notify and document consulting physicians of consult request.
2. Fax new medication orders and discharge medication orders to the pharmacy.
3. Track new admission medication orders with the pharmacy.
4. For Omniview centers, monitor Reject Resolution Center (RRC) daily and notify Unit Manager of new RRC orders. Fax Prior Authorization forms to physician for signature on RRC orders and follow up to ensure timely submission. Fax signed Prior Authorization form along with date form was submitted.
5. Track open medication orders from pharmacy.
6. Fax Discharge Summary to pharmacy for MMR.
7. Ensure that signed medical consent orders are placed in patient's chart.
8. Enter orders onto Kardex.
9. Enter orders on MAR and TAR.
10. Print EMAR (where applicable) and Cautionary Sheets.
11. Prepare Kardex for upcoming month (if applicable).
12. Contact pharmacy to obtain medications for discharge.
13. Check Insulin expiration dates on unit.
14. Run batch document from Omniview E-Refill program if batch process is used.
15. Check for arrival of medications from the pharmacy and notify licensed nurse of arrival.
16. Review medication onto destruction log (hard copy or electronic process) under direct supervision of licensed professional.
17. Enter medication onto return log (hard copy or electronic process) under direct supervision of licensed professional.
18. Run electronic reports associated with E-Refill, Returns, Discharge Meds, Destruction, Issue Resolution, Reject Resolution, Consultant Pharmacist Monthly, other reports as applicable per direction from nursing staff.
19. Prepare documents for discharge medications home (hard copy or electronic process) per direction from nursing staff.
20. Audit medication delivery documentation.
1. Enter demographics, weights and vital signs, and physician visit dates into medical record (paper and electronic).
2. Receive diagnostic test results and distribute to appropriate health practitioner for review.
3. Maintain daily, weekly and monthly weight lists.
4. File diagnostic test result in the patient's medical record.
5. File consultative reports (i.e. behavioral health) in the patient's medical record.
6. Manage the patient's medical record (both paper and electronic) to assure timeliness of all components.
7. Assemble necessary forms and perform clerical tasks for patients being transferred to an external facility.
8. Prepare patient records and perform clerical tasks for discharge/transfer to other units within the center.
9. Ensure a completed copy of the Discharge Transition Plan is placed in the patient's medical record. Provide additional copies at patient's and/or responsible party's request.
10. Notify other departments and individuals within the center when patients are discharged (i.e. to home, transferred internally and externally, or death).
11. Disassemble patient records, place in appropriate order and send to the Medical Records department upon discharge or death.
12. Audit medical records on unit according to center/unit policy.
13. Copy medical record as needed.
14. May provide support related to Medicare/Managed Care Non-Coverage Letters by creating, printing, and mailing letter as required.
1. Monitor the PCC Home Page and Update roster as needed.
2. Maintain the Unit Census.
3. Copy the 24 hour report for meetings as needed.
4. Complete documentation for unplanned transfers as needed.
1. Maintain clerical supplies for the unit.
2. Stock paper for the fax machine.
3. Prepare admission charts for new patients prior to arrival.
4. Thin active paper charts as needed and according to policy.
5. Manage the nursing unit desk and keep the nursing unit neat and organized.
1. Maintain down time forms and print PCC documents as needed.
2. May serve as back up to the Center receptionist as needed
3. Audit placement and accuracy of lift indicators as used in the Safe Resident Transfer program.
4. Prepare records and other documentation for center meetings as requested by the nursing staff.
5. Ensure that discharged patients and/or their family members are notified verbally and/or by letter of personal belongings left in the facility.
6. Complete other duties as assigned by nursing.
7. May serve as a back up to the Center receptionist as needed.
8. May participate in the All Hands on Deck dining program.
9. May sit for the NAHU Health Unit Coordinator Certification Examination.
* A graduate of an approved school for practical or vocational nursing is required and must be currently licensed as a LPN/LVN by the State Board of Nursing. * CPR Certification * Experience is preferred in rehabilitative or geriatric nursing. * CPR Certification * Experience is preferred in rehabilitative or geriatric nursing.
Position Type: Part Time
Req ID: 336474
Center Name: PowerBack Rehabilitation, Phoenixville
Apply on company website