Job Summary and Mission
This job contributes to Starbucks success by completing assigned projects related to the development of food and beverage products that support the successful execution of company initiatives. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
- Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Gathers, analyzes and maintains product and technology trend information and conducts idea generation sessions to initiate creation of new food and beverage products. Designs and conducts benchtop experiments and tests, including Product Guidance testing recommendations, plant trials and in-market testing to deliver project requirements. May supervise temporary and permanent lab technicians in the execution of assigned tasks. Establishes key technical performance indicators and measures to ensure progress to commercialization and implementation consistent with project timelines. Identifies potential suppliers and manages their development of key ingredients and products. Maintains project file, develops technical manual, and documents intellectual property.
- Leads the commercialization phase of projects by developing product and process specifications and conducting plant testing for selected prototypes. Develops initial cost of goods, packaging, labeling and regulatory information. Ensures that products and processes have met initial quality assurance, safety and risk assessment requirements. Manages the communication of technical information and commercialization requirements to the production facility and negotiates to desired outcome. Determines test product and cost disposition.
- Provides technical input to clarify project requirements and prepares project plans for approval, prioritization and allocation of technical resources. Identifies key technical hurdles and deliverables. Organizes work activities, provides technical input on cross-functional team timelines. Gathers and analyzes technical information to update cross-functional team.
- Supports the start-up and implementation of the product. Revises technical information in the specifications. Develops Recipe Card and finished product preparation targets. Prepares commercialization summaries and project reports. Consults on development of training materials. Supports ongoing technical improvements and testing.
Summary of Experience
- Chef or Research Chef in the foodservice industry (3 years)
- Process development (3 years)
- Product or menu development in the food and beverage or related industry (3 years)
- Project management (3 years)
- Specifications development
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of food and beverage technology, chemistry or engineering, including processing and manufacturing
- Knowledge of food ingredient functionality
- Knowledge of food quality assurance principles and established food safety requirements, including process and formulary concepts
- Effectively present information to both technical and non technical audiences
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with all federal state and local ordinances. Starbucks Corporation is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at 206-318-0660 or via email at email@example.com
Apply on company website