Job ID: 4902
HSR Constructors is currently seeking a Safety Engineer for the Virgin Trains USA Phase II Project that runs between West Palm Beach and Cocoa, Florida, with offices located in Melbourne and Ft. Pierce. This 128 mile-long project includes the construction of new track, the rehabilitation and upgrading of existing track; bridges; road crossings; and associated railroad signals work.
HSR Constructors is a joint venture of three of the leading railroad and transit contractors in the nation: Herzog, Stacy and Witbeck, and Railworks; who have joined to construct this fast-paced, high-profile project.
Safety is core value at RailWorks. The Safety Engineer is one of the company's first lines for communications and training relating to our safety programs and for ensuring that the company fully complies with all respective local, state and federal regulations.
- Attend and participate in customer driven Safety Meetings, and weekly progress meeting
- Job-site audits, safety observations conducted weekly
- Conduct Incident Investigations as requested for near-misses, injuries, motor and equipment crashes, and other safety related-occurrences.
- Input required documentation: 24 hour incident reports, investigation, good catch/Near miss, Safety Observation, and audit reports in SharePoint system. Provide required documentation to customers as needed.
- Maintain and organize required medical testing documentation for job-site
- Assist and maintain customer compliance documentation.
- Manage and enforce company drug testing policies and assist in maintaining compliance with customer requirements
- Proficient in case management and what designates a recordable injury vs. first aid
- Report field findings, both positive and negative, to the Project Manager and Division Safety Manager
- Assist field in performing hazard recognition and spearhead subsequent mitigation
- Lead by example in regard to safety and professional behavior
- Empowered with the authority to halt job-site operations to alleviate any safety issues/hazards when necessary
- Assist maintaining and delivering proper PPE supplies to crews/offices
- Give public presentations to customer, sub-contractor and company
- Training of employees in classroom or individual settings. Coaching employees in less formal settings
- Work to keep the company compliant with the various agencies and customers (OSHA, MSHA, industry, railroads)
- Be willing to acquire continued training and education
- Possess solid computer skills involving office type software such as spreadsheets, word documents, databases, internet, email, etc.
- Have completed or be willing to complete a safety certification course (COSS, etc.)
- Must possess the character and unquestionable integrity to represent the Company and provide credibility for all work, reports and analysis that is provided through the safety/risk department. Must be able to maintain confidentiality of protected/sensitive employee and company information. It is expected that the Safety Engineer will dress in professional, business attire at all times that is reflective and appropriate for the respective site/office location visit.
- Must have the ability to grasp facts, processes, procedures in a changing environment very quickly; a quick learner.
- Works in a proactive manner, a self-starter who approaches his/her work with a sense of urgency. Ability to meet deadlines under pressure in short time frames. Ability to multi-task and thrive in an environment where numerous tasks and activities are occurring simultaneously.
- Exercises good business judgment and common sense when making recommendations and in decision making.
- Must have a strong safety background, railroad experience a plus
- Experience in a heavy labor environment preferred
- Construction Industry experience preferred
- 2 or 4 year college degree a plus
- Will need to be able to work with, guide and direct company employees and shape their behavior in the work place
- Will help in defining / refining the company safety culture
- Must have good communication skills—both written and verbal
- Will be required to submit to background checks, driver's license check, and drug/alcohol and fit for duty screenings
- Will be required to obtain a company paid TWIC's card, Basic Plus Training, Roadway Worker Protection Training and various Site Specific training's necessary to get onto job-site
- Must have a valid driver license with a good driving record.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Frequently works outdoors at construction sites and occasionally works indoors.
- Frequently stands, walks, climbs, balances, stoops, and crouches while negotiating work areas under construction.
- Sits, reads, writes and uses a keyboard.
- May be exposed to harsh weather conditions including very hot and very cold weather.
- May be exposed to loud noise.
RailWorks Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment with RailWorks without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Apply on company website