Manages and coordinates all aspects of company safety programs, ensuring that safety programs are correctly administered and communicated and that federal, state and local laws are met. Ensures that project sites and offices provide a safe working environment for employees, customers and vendors.
Primary/Essential Responsibilities and Duties
• Implements and manages safety policies and procedures in compliance with local, state and federal OSHA rules and regulations.
• Manages the administration of project safety, accident, and hazard communication programs to maintain safe work environments.
• Corrects unsafe employee activities, procedures and practices.
• Inspects work locations to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards.
• Documents unsafe conditions, safety hazards and health hazards, determines corrective or preventative measures where indicated, and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
• Evaluates contractors' safety programs and policies; recommends changes and manages implementation of changes.
• Conducts investigations of accidents and injuries through employee interviews, equipment inspections and site inspections, carefully reviewing the integrity of personal protective equipment, materials and job-site specific gear.
• Provides regular worksite safety training for all employees; provides training for hourly labor, foremen, supervisors and local managers in work site safety practices, fire prevention and correct handling techniques for toxins, equipment and other materials.
• Recommends appropriate disciplinary action when safety policies are violated.
• Manages administration of contractor safety training.
• Manages the company's Workers' Compensation program; works closely with the company's insurance carrier to implement programs to reduce employee lost time.
General/Other Responsibilities and Duties
• Ensures that all required records and reports are complete, accurate and correctly submitted to comply with all internal processes and comply with all local, state and federal regulations.
• Prepares materials and evidence for company use in hearings, lawsuits and insurance investigations.
• Hires, trains and manages staff.
• Provides informational signs, posters, barriers and other materials to warn of potential and actual safety hazards and to prevent access to hazardous conditions.
• Maintains safety files and records.
• Prepares and arranges safety exhibits and material for display at industry conferences and exhibitions.
Required Skills and Qualifications
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in safety positions in the construction industry.
• Knowledge of and experience with OSHA rules, regulations and reporting processes and procedures.
• Ability to exercise good business judgment and common sense when making recommendations and decisions.
• Ability to effectively train and manage staff.
• Ability to multi-task and thrive in an environment where numerous tasks and projects are occurring simultaneously.
• Ability to meet deadlines in short time frames.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to write effective reports.
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact and with all levels of the company at field sites and offices, and effectively deal with vendors, customers and regulatory agencies.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
• Generally works indoors, with some onsite/outdoor work.
• Frequently sits, stands, walks, reads, writes and uses a computer keyboard.
• When visiting project sites, stands and walks and may climb, balance, stoop, or crouch while negotiating work areas under construction.
• May be exposed to harsh weather conditions including very hot and very cold weather.
• May be exposed to loud noise.
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned. Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Females/ Veterans/Disabled).#LI-CP1
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment with RailWorks without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law. RailWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Females/ Veterans/Disabled).
Apply on company website