Job ID: 2488
Operates Tamper in a safe manner to perform maintenance and construction activities in the installation, repair and rebuilding of track structure.
Primary/Essential Responsibilities and Duties
• Operates Tamping Machines such as a Canron Mark III or Canron Mark IV that employ a System 5 computer program, or a Jackson 6700 that uses a Version 7 (or possibly a Jupiter System) computer system, to compact ballast on railroad tracks according to grade specifications.
• Inspects and maintains trucks and attached apparatuses such as hi-rail gear, tools, etc.
• Operates equipment in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with regulations, policies and procedures.
• Performs equipment safety and maintenance checks, making emergency adjustments as necessary.
• Takes actions to avoid potential hazards and obstructions, such as utility lines, other equipment, other workers, and falling objects.
• Studies instructions, plans, and diagrams to establish work requirements.
General/Other Responsibilities and Duties
• Drives machines onto truck trailers and then unloads machine off the trailer.
• Keeps records of material and equipment usage and problems encountered.
• A minimum of 3 years experience operating heavy equipment (Canron Mark III or Canron Mark IV) - in a railroad construction environment.
• Some knowledge of electrical and Hydraulic systems
• Mechanical troubleshooting skills.
• A valid Commercial Driver's License and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Driving Record.
• Has or can obtain a TWIC card (Transportation Worker Identification Credential).
• Experience using hand tools, power tools and hydraulic equipment.
• Knowledge of and ability to adhere to safety requirements and procedures.
• Ability to read and understand construction specifications.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Ability and willingness to be trained as well as train others on the machine
• Works at construction sites.
• Uses hands to handle and control materials, tools and vehicle controls.
• Sits for long periods of time in a closed vehicle.
• Uses repetitive motions.
• Uses close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
• Moves or lifts heavy equipment and objects up to 50 pounds.
• Uses eye-hand-foot coordination.
• Exposed to moving mechanical parts.
• Exposed to harsh weather conditions including very hot and very cold weather.
• Exposed to loud noise.
• Extensive travel.
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned.
RailWorks Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment with RailWorks without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Apply on company website