Safety Supervisors are responsible to ensure compliance with all local, state and federal safety regulations within their assigned areas. This position provides support in the assigned location and assists the Regional Safety Manager instill a safety sensitive culture to promote and create a safe working environment. The hours and physical demand may vary by location.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Perform all tasks in a safe manner in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations and company policies.
- Conduct ongoing health & safety inspections/audits of facilities, operations, equipment and processes to ensure compliance of Corporate Safety, environmental, and governmental (DOT, OSHA, local agencies) policies and regulations.
- Schedule and conduct observations and vehicle inspections to evaluate knowledge, practices, and compliance. Perform follow up observations with coaching and retraining when deficiencies are observed.
- Perform incident/injury investigations involving company vehicles and employees, including remedial driver and safety training classes.
- Interact with various insurance companies and regulatory agencies including OSHA, DOT, EPA and local fire and police agencies.
- Train and coach new and existing employees on the use of applicable tools, equipment, accident/incident prevention, and fundamental practices.
- Develop and deliver training to employees on OSHA, DOT, and company policies and procedures.
- Conduct monthly in-service safety meetings.
- Interact with management to develop site-specific training programs and review trends, identify preventable occurrences, and recommend/oversee corrective action.
- Ensure all documentation, records and files related to safety training are submitted and maintained in accordance with federal, state and local requirements and Company policy.
- Assist in the new driver qualification process and the continued qualification of drivers to include drug/alcohol testing, annual reviews, physicals and all other required documentation.
- Assist with settling loss control claims.
- Respond and provide assistance in emergency situations.
- Provide leadership and a positive work atmosphere exhibiting professional conduct with open communication that promotes positive relationships with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.
- Prepare and present reports as necessary.
- Maintain a working relationship with Human Resources and Worker's Compensation Administration.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge and Skills
- Must have working knowledge of DOT regulations and OSHA/industrial safety compliance as they relate to the waste hauling industry. Successful applicant must be able to furnish documented experience in the above areas as well as references/certificates.
- Must have a strong background in dealing with people under difficult circumstances.
- Possess a strong background and documented experience in public relations, customer service, or a training position.
- Computer skills; working knowledge of Windows applications, Microsoft applications, applications a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to be able to communicate effectively and professionally with internal and external customers.
- Knowledge of the waste and recycling industries and hauling operations preferred
- Process and results oriented with a commitment to organizational success
- Additional skills may be required to perform additional task(s) specific to work location, department or line of business
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
- Must have at least two (2) years' experience in keeping detailed and accurate records in a safety environment, as well as reading and interpreting federal, state, and local safety regulations
- Valid CDL for at least 2 years. Current medical card.
- Must have clean criminal and driving history and be able to satisfy company's driver qualification standards
- Must not have any DUI's or OVI's within the last 5 years or 2 in the last 10 years
- Must not have any license suspensions within the last 2 years
- No more than 3 moving violations within the last 2 years.
- Must successfully complete pre-employment testing
- Must be able to read and speak the English language
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be able to work flexible schedules including weekends and holidays, and be available to address safety issues by phone at all times
- Must be available for 24 hour emergency calls.
- Office, landfill, garage, plant, and outdoor environments.
- Exposure to dust, noise, heat, cold, and fumes found in a repair facility or plant environment.
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions possible
- Exposure to residential and commercial waste possible
Apply on company website