SAIC is hiring for the position of a VMware Engineer located in Vienna, VA
This person is responsible for maintaining the operational status of multiple clusters of VMware ESXi host servers and vSphere instances. The duties of this position are to provide broad spectrum tasks associated with managing the VMware infrastructure components in order to support complex enterprise solutions.
The candidate will be required to work both independently and collaboratively to address incidents, problems, provide access management, and contribute to infrastructure enhancement projects. The candidate, in conjunction with team goals, will operate the VMware infrastructure to include taskings such as the configuration of VMware SRM, DRS, HA, Update Manager, vCenter, and other VMware technologies as appropriate. The VMware Engineer will also be responsible for directly working with and maintaining the Cisco Fiber Interconnects, Cisco UCS servers, and NetApp storage.
Additional responsibilities may include the assisting platform teams in the creation of their platform “gold” images to ensure optimized configuration for a virtualized infrastructure. As with any operational role, monitoring alerts, managing the ticket queue, and keeping documentation up to date are a regular part of daily responsibilities. Candidate is required to have strong analysis and decision-making skills with the ability to participate in briefings, participate in technical cross-functional meetings, strong commitment to process, and understanding of change and configuration management principles.
Candidate must be willing to provide 24/7 coverage (on-call rotation) and participate in after-hours updates and patching on a rotational basis.Detailed Responsibilities:
- Operation and maintenance of the enterprise VMware environment
- Management and Oversight of VMware's underlying hardware components including updates and patching
- Participate in after-hours shifts that respond to business emergency requests (on-call rotation)
- Participate in after-hours monthly patching rotation
- Participate in and contribute to the development of a new disaster recovery plan utilizing Site Recovery Manager where applicable
- Establish project requirements and document high-level project plans, such as a migration to VMware NSX
- Installations of new software and system upgrades including evaluation and installation of patches
- Actively monitor systems and resolve issues
- Collaborate with the rest of the team to perform project tasks in support of large projects.
- Bachelor's Degree and 3+ years of relevant experience. Additional work experience is acceptable in lieu of a Degree.
- Practical experience managing enterprise VMware environments, including DRS, HA, SRM, and vCenter
- Hands on experience troubleshooting ESXi hosts (APD events, network communication issues, and Storage DRS (SDRS))
- Experience with creating and customizing host baselines
- Ability to learn new products and technologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Outstanding customer service and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability of end-to-end problem management and ownership
- Ability to create and manage work instructions, system and project documentation.
- US citizenship required with the ability to obtain a Public Trust prior to starting work.
- Desired Experience/Skills/Attributes:
- Creation of VMware Site Recovery Manager recovery plans
- Scripting knowledge to automate tasks and processes, PowerCLI.
- Understanding of system security concepts and mitigation strategies (POAMs, vulnerabilities)
- Conceptual knowledge of SAN and or NAS systems. (NetApp/Tintri)
- Experience with backup solutions, particularly Tivoli Storage Manager and Veeam.
Apply on company website