The benefits you receive when working with Savage:
- A culture that appreciates Team Members
- Competitive compensation
- Uniforms and laundry service
- Paid Time Off (“PTO”)
- Paid Holidays
- Profit Sharing
- Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k) with match
- Opportunity for growth
The Captain has overriding authority and control on board his/her vessel at all times either at sea or in port. He/she is directly responsible for all actions and procedures occurring on board that may affect the interests of the Company.
- The Captain will supervise each department on board the vessel and be responsible for the economical maintenance and operation of the vessel, including authorization of overtime expenditures for all departments, cargo and ballasting operations oversight and tracking of vessel certificates.
- The Captain is to notify the Company of any cases effecting the seaworthiness of the vessel, safety of the vessel and crew, quality of the environment as affected by the vessel, security of the vessel, and quality of service provided to the Customer.
- The Captain is ultimately responsible for following all regulations and procedures under the which the vessel trades, including but not limited to: Flag State, Class, Port State, the Company HSSEQ Management System
- The Captain is considered an extension of the Company and an integral member of the management team. As such, he or she is responsible for the training and evaluation of the crew under his or her leadership. Besides the responsibilities listed above, the Captain is responsible for cost management, vessel maintenance, upkeep, and cleanliness, safety awareness and indoctrination, effective communication and harmony on the ship, and appearance and sobriety.
- The Captain is responsible to ensure that all members of the crew are on board the vessel during regular or assigned working hours, whether the ship is in port or at sea. At no time in port should the officers of an entire department be away from the vessel. Captains must receive permission from the Port Captain to be gone for over 12 hours from the vessel while in port.
- In the absence of the Captain, the Chief Officer is responsible for the above, but at no time should the Captain delegate these responsibilities unless he is confident the Chief Mate is capable of assuming the role.
- Responsibilities are not all inclusive and may change based on the need of the company.
- USCG Licensed any oceans/tonnage Master
- All Required STCW endorsements for foreign voyages
- Vessel Security Officer
- Medical PIC
- GMDSS Operator
- Radar/ARPA and ECDIS endorsement
- Must have a valid TWIC card and Passport
- Other certificates and endorsements as deemed required for the operation and by Savage Marine
- Good communication skills
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Proven and effective manager and leader
- High School diploma
- Maritime Academy graduate preferred
- Five years experience as tanker Captain preferred
- ABS Nautical Systems NS5/E experience preferred
- Tank vessel experience preferred
For safety reasons, a COVID vaccination is required subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of the ADA and Title VII.
Savage has been designated as a 2021 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran's Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice https://www.savageservices.com/careers/california-residents-job-applicant-privacy-notice/
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply on company website