Savage is hiring for a Technical Accounting Manager to join our team in Midvale, UT. The ideal candidate will be successful at providing and leading others to conclude and account for new guidance and complex business transactions under US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), if applicable. In this role, your primary responsibility will be to research, analyze and document technical accounting issues as they arise. In addition, you will work collaboratively with operational, functional and external parties communicating key issues to stakeholders both internally and externally with professionalism. You will help lead accounting trainings to various areas of the organization and play a key role in the implementation and standardization of pertinent accounting policies. To be successful, a hands-on and easy-to-adapt attitude are imperative as they drive high-quality deliverables.
Technical Accounting Issues
- Participate in start-up/acquisition meetings or others where applicable to identify and isolate any potential accounting issues which need to be addressed
- Be the key go-to individual for any technical questions/justification to external auditors for conclusions reached on accounting topics/issues
- Analyze and resolve issues pertinent to complex transactions such as business combinations, consolidations, revenue recognition, leases and debt, among others; ensuring preparation of technical memos and analysis are in order to support conclusions reached
External Experts/Auditor Coordination
- Organize, communicate and schedule all audit procedures (audits, reviews, statutory compliance, etc.)
- Assist with the work of specialists in valuation and actuarial services, communicating with external audit as needed to support compliance efforts
- Facilitate KPMG audit requests as necessary (tracking of PBC lists/updates) in order to provide information and comfort relating to financial reporting and accounting data
- Draft financial statements and accompanying footnotes across all reporting entities
- Assist in designing and implementing internal and external financial statements and reports
- Develops and implements accounting policies and procedures to ensure external financial statements are in accordance with GAAP
- Draft Non-GAAP memos and material implications for distribution to KPMG
- Ensure consideration and testing of recurrent standards requirements is performed on a routine basis, such as PP&E impairment testing, AR allowance for doubtful accounts, Sales Discounts, Goodwill impairment considerations etc.
Implementation of New Standards
- Responsible for the correct application of ASC 606 and any relevant judgments to technical accounting matters for revenue recognition
- Lead the effort to implement the new lease accounting guidance
- Analyze applicability of Accounting Standards Updates (ASUs) throughout each reporting year/cycle.
- Develop and teach technical accounting training material across the Accounting, Treasury and Tax organization, where applicable
- Bachelor's and Master's degrees required
- 5+ years applicable experience
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving skills
- Research ability and potential
- Experience in/with auditors, external specialists and consultants - preferred
- Advanced knowledge of the Financial Accounting Standards Board, Accounting Standards Codification
- Very organized with the ability to multi-task
- Tax knowledge a plus, but not required
- Good communication skills
- Personable and outgoing, with ability to network
- Self-motivated and proactive
With more than 70 years' experience in hundreds of locations across North America and internationally, Savage is a trusted partner for safely moving and managing mission-critical materials with worry-free consistency while creating value for our Customers. Savage specializes in rail, truck and marine transportation, logistics, materials handling and other industrial and environmental services. We Hire Right, Train Right and Treat Right, and strive to provide our Team Members with opportunities to do things they never dreamed possible.
Savage offers competitive benefits that include: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, a retirement plan, paid time off and opportunities for growth.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
For more information, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply on company website