Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a Team Appreciation Day, unlimited meal discounts, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you're looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you're in the right place.
Senior Manager of Accounting
The Sr Manager of Accounting will be responsible for managing the general functions as it relates to Shake Shack's Home Office and Shack-level operations, including but not limited to the management of accruals, prepaids, pre-opening expense, and G&A. This individual will also provide strategic support and analysis as needed.
The Sr Manager of Accounting is a self-motivated, adaptive, eager learner who can manage and prioritize an evolving workload in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision. The ideal candidate will have an analytical mindset, strong work ethic, heightened attention to detail and a desire for continuous process improvement. The Sr Manager of Accounting will be able to work well across functions and form relationships throughout the Company to facilitate involvement in Company-wide processes and initiatives.
1. Monthly Close
• Review period-end entries, account reconciliations, and account analyses as it relates to owned areas (including but not limited to accruals, prepaids, pre-opening expenses, and G&A), with appropriate SOX documentation and support when required.
• Facilitate period-end closings by ensuring the accurate and timely completion of the general accounting team's close-related responsibilities.
• Liaise with Operations to develop and implement processes to drive admin out of the Shacks.
• Act as a key member of cross-departmental teams to improve the flow of data and reporting.
• Assist and/or manage on-going Company-wide initiatives and projects.
• Assist in assessing the impact from and implement the required changes to systems, process, policies and procedures due to new accounting standards, regulatory changes, changes in business strategy, cross-departmental initiatives and other operational changes. Assist with driving change management by working with IT and other key stakeholders related to any associated changes.
• Prepare the accounting evaluation, conclusions, and maintain the ongoing accounting treatment of new agreements as it relates to owned areas.
• Collaborate with other Home Office teams where required and appropriate.
• Strengthen and maintain relationships with both internal and external parties.
2. SOX Compliance
• Maintain ownership of SOX key controls related to owned accounts and processes.
• Facilitate both internal and external audits ensuring complete, timely and accurate responses to information requests. Coordinate with internal or external auditors related to owned accounts and processes.
• Continuously evaluate SOX controls in light of changing systems/processes and work with Internal Audit to identify and implement necessary control changes.
3. Process Improvement
• Review existing processes, structures, and systems to assist in the identification of improvement opportunities with a focus on simplification, standardization and optimization, especially the reduction of manual, Excel-based activities.
• Help drive the reduction of the close timeline by assessing and streamlining close-related activities.
• Evaluate, develop, implement and monitor accounting and operational policies and procedures for owned areas, with an emphasis on improving accuracy and timeliness, reducing risk and strengthening compliance.
• Assist in assessing the impact from and implement the required changes to systems, process, policies and procedures due to new accounting standards, regulatory changes, changes in business strategy, cross-departmental initiatives and other operational changes.
• Manage and/or support the implementation of on-going process improvement initiatives.
4. Annual Audit and Quarterly Reviews
• Ensure information flow between the accounting team, external auditors and other internal and external partners.
• Prepare balance sheet and income statement fluctuation analyses.
• Provide requested support to Tax and Financial Reporting and adhere to external reporting timelines.
5. Coaching and Team Development
• Manage a team of two accountants and help grow them professionally.
• Perform quarterly check-ins and annual performance reviews for direct report.
• Establish goals for direct reports that are aligned with overall department and company objectives.
• Remain current on Restaurant and Retail industry-specific technologies and emerging trends.
• Prepare reports/analyses and participate in other projects as needed.
Skills & Experience
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance required.
- Minimum 10+ years of accounting experience in accounting role.
- Minimum 4-6 years of supervisory experience.
- Minimum 3 years of experience at “Big 4” public accounting firm required.
- Strong understanding of GAAP and SOX required.
- Demonstrated experience in continuous improvement initiatives, root cause analysis and project management.
- Ability to work under pressure and within tight deadlines.
- Innovative team player. Self-motivated and able to work on cross-functional teams.
- Strong attention to detail. Ability to organize, prioritize and multi-task responsibilities.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in the restaurant and/or retail industries preferred.
- Skilled with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, Access)
- High HQ, Confident, Caring, Team-oriented, Guest-focused, Supportive, Empathetic, Trustworthy
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Transit Discount Program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Dining Program
- Referral Bonus
- Online Training Program
- Career Development
- Corporate Fitness Discount Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City's Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy they we "Stand for Something Good."
Shake Shack is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental and physical), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital, military and veteran status.
Our company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.
Apply on company website