Job Opportunity Job ID: 28600 Positions Location: Lansing, MI Job Description General Purpose of Job: Provides Description:
Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Provides excellent quality care and genetic counseling to Maternal Fetal Medicine patients seeking prenatal diagnosis or undergoing invasive procedures for the purpose of prenatal diagnosis. Provide individualized assistance related to insurance verification/authorization of genetic counseling services. Assists Maternal Fetal Medicine providers and caregivers with appropriate genetic test selection and results interpretation.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- The counselor shall provide coordination of care with the department and as needed for outside agencies.
- The counselor may participate in specialty sections, coordinate specific services, or specific projects as directed.
- The counselor will continue education activities in order to maintain an excellent and current knowledge base and all necessary licensure or certification (attend educational conferences or seminars at minimum 2 per year). May participate in research projects as needed.
- Obtain comprehensive family history in form of a Pedigree.
- Obtain an appropriate patient medical history and pertinent family members.
- Coordinates patient care activities and management of clinical data throughout all phases of patient care from initial referral to follow-up.
- Arranges for clinical services, evaluates clinical data, participates in clinic rounds, and triages clinical questions/concerns to the appropriate member of the interdisciplinary team.
- Assists with educational sessions with residents, fellows, and medical students on rotations in MFM.
- Utilizes both in-person, phone, and video/virtual visit platforms to counsel patients and their partners.
- Provides comprehensive counseling reports and appropriate documentation/reports on each case.
- Provide crisis intervention and referral(s) as needed (pre- and post-natal counseling, when a fetal abnormality is detected, etc.)
- Provides care to special patient populations and patients with diverse cultural backgrounds. Identified patient readiness for learning and ability to follow instructions and give consent.
- Participates as a team member in case conference in reference to patient care.
- Analyzes and synthesizes program data.
- Calls out CVS and amniocentesis results within a 24-hour period of receipt of results. Calling out any abnormal results to patients and physicians.
- Perform \"Counselor of the Week\" duties including: reviewing charts for completeness on patients to be seen; triage of patients to genetic counselors; assist schedulers (PSRs) in triaging problems; review and approve all intakes; inform the referring physician of the prenatal diagnosis results.
- Assist Revenue Auditors with any billing documentation or charge issues.
- Consults with private/referring physicians, residents, fellows, and nursing staff as requested.
- Timely management of patient caseload including documentation and timely closing of encounters.
- Coordinates all other aspects of patient's care such as: diagnostic testing, referrals, and obtaining results.
- Extensive patient education face-to-face, by phone, and via video/virtual platforms regarding services provided, treatment details, patients' multi-stop plan of care, lab results interpretation as directed by physician and within the genetic counselor's scope of practice.
- Review patient records and solicit additional records as necessary and appropriate for appointments.
- Communicates clearly to physicians and patients regarding abnormal lab results and proper follow-up. Daily follow-up with ordered labs.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Job Family Clinical Professional/Technical/Allied Health Requirements: Shift Days Degree Type / Education Level Master's Status Full-time Experience Level Under 4 Years
Apply on company website